Hughesnet Community

Is this the worst internet company ever?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mgavelek

Is this the worst internet company ever?

I had to go to HughesNet because I had no other options when I bought a new house in the country. I was warned it would be bad but it is horrific. We almost never get good service and even when I buy tokens it doesn’t seem to help. It is a complete rip off. After calling them several times and it not getting any better, I think I am going to dedicate my life to getting the word out as to how bad it is.
6 REPLIES 6
MarkJFine
Professor

1. Spamming this board is not going to get you helped and it might actually get you blocked. This is not social media, and complaining here is not "going to get the word out".

2. Some simple prior research would have told you that because of several technical limitations, satellite is not a direct replacement for terrestrial internet, especially for video streaming or some realtime online gaming.

3. If you really want to stream, try engaging the video data saver to control the resolution down to a managable amount, otherwise please manually adjust the video to 360p or lower to reduce buffering. The buffering is usually caused by latency, not download speed if you have not exceeded your download plan.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
Mgavelek

Wow. This is the worst internet service ever possible. I think that if a company really really tried to provide worse service that it would be difficult. And I am so tired of calling as you get no progress.
Mgavelek

HughesNet calling themselves an internet provider has to be against government regulations. They do NOT provide internet service. I pay for Netflix etc and with HughesNet you can almost never watch a show. And then if you want to add more bandwidth it costs a fortune and I am sure that wouldn’t work together. This is a complete scam. Unfortunately I have no other options after I bought a house in the country. Can some real internet company please help?!?!?!?!
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

>>HughesNet calling themselves an internet provider has to be against government regulations.

They are an internet service provider, whether you're happy with them or not. In fact, they're consistently rated the top satellite internet service provider.

>>They do NOT provide internet service.

Yes, they do. They provide satellite internet service. This technology is different than terrestrial cable, and while it's very goood, it has limitations due to the nature of satellite communications.

>>I pay for Netflix etc and with HughesNet you can almost never watch a show.

Maybe you should discontinue your membership and watch DVDs instead.

>>And then if you want to add more bandwidth it costs a fortune and I am sure that wouldn’t work together.

Might work, or might not. One thing is certain: your ranting will not in any way solve your issues. Try posting the actual issues in a calm post, and someone will help you figure out how to solve them.

>>This is a complete scam.

No, actually it is a legitimate ISP that works well for many of us.

>>Unfortunately I have no other options after I bought a house in the country. 

You could always sell the house and move to a place that has terrestrial cable. There are always options.

>>Can some real internet company please help?!?!?!?!

Hughesnet is a real company. If you'd like some other company to come service your area, contact the local authorities and ask them to bring in terrestrial cable.

If you want help,  consider dialing down the hysteria and letting people help you maximise your network.

@Mgavelek wrote:
HughesNet calling themselves an internet provider has to be against government regulations. They do NOT provide internet service. I pay for Netflix etc and with HughesNet you can almost never watch a show. And then if you want to add more bandwidth it costs a fortune and I am sure that wouldn’t work together. This is a complete scam. Unfortunately I have no other options after I bought a house in the country. Can some real internet company please help?!?!?!?!

Amanda

Hi Mgavelek,

Welcome to our community and thank you for your post(s). I've merged them all together here so we can help you in a more organized fashion. I see from your account history that our first contact from you was through a survey response where you explained that you were having issues streaming video. A quick triage of your account shows a good satellite signal strength and a good wireless signal for the only connected device (currently), a Roku. A remote speed test to your modem from our network returned with a result of 27Mbps download and 3.08Mbps upload, which is great.

Though speed isn't everything when it comes to streaming, so we need to troubleshoot a bit more. I understand you've already tried turning off the Video Data Saver and for HBO in particular, it is recommended that you choose an "automatic" resolution setting for picture quality, otherwise standard or lower to prevent buffering and reduce data usage. From the previous calls we've not made it much further in troubleshooting with you after applying free data to the account, this is a sign that much of the problem may stem from the fact that data consumption is the likely cause.  It is also good to keep in mind that buying and using tokens when you have not exceeded your data will not change anything about the connection itself. 

I look forward to hearing if the resolution changes for your HBO app help and if there is any other details you can provide where you are having issues so I can assist you further.

Thank you,

Amanda

Amanda

Hi Mgavelek,

We didn't hear back from you so this thread will be closed. If you have any further concerns or questions, please feel free to create a new thread and be sure to include any results from my last post.

Thanks,

Amanda