cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

White dot instead of profile picture

@Liz 

Is the profile picture at the top of the new community's pages supposed to be a white dot?

2022-02-16_07-24-59.png

32 REPLIES 32
MarkJFine
Professor

When you pull it down, it only knows the SAN, not the user name. So likely a disconnect with the user profile (Edit: the 'crc' user profile).

Also worth noting, when you read something there's no indication something's not been read. I may have missed this when previewing some time ago.

Edit: For clarification: The title of things that have been read should go from bold to normal font or something to indicate the thread has been completely read. Thought it might be a cookie thing, so I exited and killed all my locally stored hughesnet cookies, but it hasn't changed. The listings under the "HughesNet Support Community" do that, but once you're in the thread listing (such as Your Thoughts...) there's no indication differentiating threads that have been completely read and those with new postings.

Also just noticed something else. Nothing major, just not what you'd expect: Is that when editing a post, there's a scroll box that you edit in, contained within what appears to be an expanding message box (with a triangular sizing icon in the lower right hand side). Seems the sizing icon doesn't synch with the actual scroll box. The scroll box starts much smaller (about a third) that the initial image depicting the edit space. It changes if you try to grab the triangular sizing icon, but the actual sizing icon doesn't move with it. More specifically: The icon changes to a vertical resizing icon and the scroll bar changes as if the scroll box is resizing, but that's the only indication that something's happening. The triangular box and the enclosing outline of the message editor doesn't seem to change or move. Again... just not the behavior you'd expect.

I should also add this is using Firefox v97.0 64-bit, which has some peculiarities of it's own. I've noticed that under certain circumstances, not all javascript gets properly downloaded until I do a full refresh, so there might be a few extra routines I should be getting that it's not seeing.

Screen Shot 2022-02-16 at 8.56.18 AM.png

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
maratsade

You're right; since it doesn't recognise the username, it makes sense there's no pic. 

"Also worth noting, when you read something there's no indication something's not been read."

Not quite sure I understand what you mean here. 🙂

EDIT: Read your clarification; got it now. Cheers! 👍

Just tried in Safari v15.3, and it's basically the same as with Firefox, except it wouldn't let me edit my previous post using the 'drop-down dots'.

Edit: Just tried in Chrome 98.0.4758.102, and same as Firefox, but it did let me edit (obviously).

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
maratsade

Testing the edit function with Firefox.

EDIT: The edit function works for me on FF. However, I get this message:  "Your post has been changed because invalid HTML was found in the message body. The invalid HTML has been removed. Please review the message and submit the message when you are satisfied."  Not sure where the invalid HTML comes from; I just click Edit and type into the box.

Just noticed one more nit... The thread seems to have two parts: The usually listed posts, then a second 'sorted' part that contains the same thing, but perhaps sorted differently. This might get confusing to some people. Might be best (if possible) to just have the sorted posts and let the user decide how to sort them and remove the (unsorted?) section of posts from the display.

For example, this reply was to the last 'unsorted' post and appears between the 'unsorted' and 'sorted' sections. Makes it hard to re-find where you were if you have to scroll up to something while typing.

maratsade

This. 1000 times this.

@MarkJFine wrote:

Just noticed one more nit... The thread seems to have two parts: The usually listed posts, then a second 'sorted' part that contains the same thing, but perhaps sorted differently. This might get confusing to some people. Might be best (if possible) to just have the sorted posts and let the user decide how to sort them and remove the (unsorted?) section of posts from the display.

For example, this reply was to the last 'unsorted' post and appears between the 'unsorted' and 'sorted' sections. Makes it hard to re-find where you were if you have to scroll up to something while typing.

Hi folks,

Thank you for your feedback on the latest changes! I'm documenting this and sending over to the folks who may be able to address these. Just need some additional info:

-Javascript not loading: I'm looking at the screenshot and I'm not sure what's missing. 

-Editing posts: You can edit in Chrome and FF, but not Safari? I was able to edit in the first two, but I don't have Safari to test. I also did not encounter that invalid HTML error. Is that constant across all posts?

-Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

JS: Yeah, ignore the Javascript comment... that's not it. Just to clarify, sometimes in Firefox I've noticed that some Javascript or js-like subroutines don't always load properly if they are added as a separately loaded, coded url. For example, my latency calculation page uses Javascript code that is written in a file that is separately loaded from the page's html as part of a <script src=[url]></script> construct, then executed once a button is pressed. Firefox sometimes has a problem with this and I have no idea why.

Gotcha, ok. What about editing posts? Any lingering issues there?

-Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

maratsade

@Liz,

I got the HTML error every time I edited a post. 

EDIT: Testing, testing. 

EDIT2: But  not this time.  🙄

@Liz wrote:

Hi folks,

Thank you for your feedback on the latest changes! I'm documenting this and sending over to the folks who may be able to address these. Just need some additional info:

-Javascript not loading: I'm looking at the screenshot and I'm not sure what's missing. 

-Editing posts: You can edit in Chrome and FF, but not Safari? I was able to edit in the first two, but I don't have Safari to test. I also did not encounter that invalid HTML error. Is that constant across all posts?

-Liz

Thanks maratsade! Does the HTML error appear outside of Firefox?

maratsade

Sometimes yes, sometimes no. Earlier it appeared both on Chrome and FF. 

Keeps you guessing. 🤣🤣

@Liz wrote:

Thanks maratsade! Does the HTML error appear outside of Firefox?

OK thanks for the details! We'll look into this and the other feedback from this thread.

-Liz

Just curious if the text in the edit was made in an editor and manually copied/pasted (Ctrl-C, Ctrl-V) into the web site. I used to see html added when I did that, but never when typing in directly.

maratsade

My edits are all made using the editor here. No copy/paste. 

@MarkJFine wrote:

Just curious if the text in the edit was made in an editor and manually copied/pasted (Ctrl-C, Ctrl-V) into the web site. I used to see html added when I did that, but never when typing in directly.

Modem
New Poster

Don't mind me...

Edit: This is an edit.

Edit 2: This is another edit, but in FF.

maratsade

I just want to say that the message sorting is quite confusing.  

Agreed, not sure why that's even there now when we didn't have it before.

-Liz

maratsade

I tried sorting it as old to new and then as new to old and it's really bonkers either way.  May it have something to do with threading? If so, it's hard to see threading ... all the posts look left justified to me. 

There's also the weird scrolling and the white space that doesn't let me do anything. Why is it even there? See screenshot.  I'd like to see the whole message, without the need to scroll...

2022-02-16_14-13-49.png

@Liz wrote:

Agreed, not sure why that's even there now when we didn't have it before.

-Liz

I see, that is unexpected. Documented as well and sending over. Also double-checking the threading settings.

Edit: OK threading should be the default now. I'm seeing indented replies, how about you?

-Liz