Account Hacked

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Rchadwick
New Poster

Account Hacked

My email account was hacked 4 times within a 5 day period.  We had to keep calling and having the password reset and were told that someone else was chatting and calling and having it reset every time we did.  The first time I called, the person who I talked to at Hughes asked me to verify my address was ______ and gave ME the address.  That explains everything.  If you only use an address to confirm you're talking to the right person, all they have to do is say "Yes, that's my address".  The third time I called, I demanded that they put an alert on my account not to change anything or reset a password without calling my home number.  It still happened a fourth time and their excuse was "you can't make the Hughes operators read the alerts".  This hacker got access to all of my families accounts.  They charged $600 in tokens.  Because I pay my bill by charge card, the charge went automatically to my card and when I disputed the charge with Hughes, I was told that "well it was paid, so why was I worried".  WHAT!!! It was paid by my card and they KNOW it wasn't me who charged it because I was able to screen shot where this hacker changed the name and address on the account after he accessed it!  I have unlimited data and can't even apply the tokens he purchased! I asked for this to be esculated to a fraud department and was told by the Hughes employee that there is NO fraud department.  I am looking into who to report this to, but there is ZERO fraud protection for email accounts with Hughes.  I reported it to my credit card company and they are issuing me a new card, but I want to change my account to paper billing and there is no way online to do this even though it says there is and it cost $5 a month extra.  I shouldn't have to pay extra when you just gave a know theif access to my accounts!  I reported this to the police and I did a background check on the hacker and he has a lengthy rap sheet for financial fraud. I called him and he said the person I should be angry with is Hughes for just giving him my information.  HOW DO I GET TO SPEAK WITH SOMEONE ABOUT THIS WHO CARES ABOUT FRAUD! 

8 REPLIES 8
Amanda

Rchadwick,

Thank you for reaching out to us here in the community. I want you to know that I take your situation very seriously and have already opened a case here in our corporate office for investigation. An alert has already been placed on the account regarding this situation. I will get this to the right people and get this resolved for you.

Thank you,

Amanda

I haven't received any answer about changing this account to paper billing and the fact I had to cancel my credit card over this.  I printed off my most recent activity and it appears to have been changed due to there no longer being a credit card, but the billing amount is $13 more than last month which makes no sense.  I shouldn't have to pay to have a paper bill when you gave my personal information away to a hacker.

Rchadwick,

I am sorry for not being able to get you more information sooner, I only received an update just moments ago. Please expect a private message from me with more information. You will see it marked on the top right of the page in a red circle over an envelope icon.

Amanda

So Chase just called me and says that Hughes is still demanding payment for this fraudulent charge.  Can you please give me a status on this?  I am not going to pay the $600 ever.

RChadwick,

I reached out to you at the end of last month in a private message (click on the envelope icon on the right hand side of the page) explaining that we were able to get the credit/refund approved but needed to know if a paper check was acceptable or if you wanted to put your card back on so we can send a direct refund to the card. I didn't hear back, so I didn't issue a refund. My private messages are dated September 27th at 2:40PM EST. 

The only reason that the payment is still being requested is because you reversed the charge so now it appears as an outstanding balance on your HughesNet account. If I would have heard back from you last month you wouldn't have needed to reverse the payment. In any case, we're applying the credit to cancel out the pending reversal charge. Going forward you should not see that charge on your account any longer.

Amanda

Sorry but these private messages do not come to my email and I was expecting a message in email.  I cannot put the card back because it has been canceled and Chase informed us to NOT put a credit card back on this account if there are no controls on who can access the account.  Thank you for your help.

@Rchadwick wrote:

Sorry but these private messages do not come to my email and I was expecting a message in email.

You can tell the Community to send alerts to your email account in your user profile:
1. Click on your icon in the upper right and a dropdown menu will appear.
2. Select My Settings from the menu, then in Preferences -> Private Messenger, click the checkbox next to "Receive email notifications for new private messages"

3. You can optionally be alerted whenever mentioned in a regular posting under Subscriptions & Notifications -> Notification Settings.

The alerts include the majority of whatever is contained in the message, so you can determine if it's worthwhile to log in.

This way you won't miss anything important in the future.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

Hi RChadwick,

Thank you for the heads up, I will review our community settings to see if it would be beneficial to make that a default profile setting in the future. Just FYI I've confirmed your account is at zero now. In my private messages I also noted we'd waive future invoice fees too. Our call center manager has received your case and will review process gaps to avoid future security risks. Please let me know if there is anything further I can assist with.

Thank you,

Amanda