Annoying credit card problem message from Hughesnet

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
IntheSticks
Sophomore

Annoying credit card problem message from Hughesnet

Since March 1st I'm continually getting a message from Hughesnet popping up in my browser. It states in part that "were (sic) unable to process your payment using the credit card on file for your account".

a) My credit card is current, corrrectly listed on my account, but expires at the end of this month.
b) I received my new card yesterday and I updated the card info on my account.
c) My account balance owed is $0, and my next billing is due March 12th !!
Is this some kind of scam, or is this just Hughesnet being Hughesnet ???

8 REPLIES 8
Damian

Hello Michael,

Thank you for contacting us. I apologize you are still receiving this pop-up message. After reviewing your account, you are indeed correct. Your balance has been paid in full and the credit card information on file has been updated recently. I recommend unplugging your modem directly from the power brick or wall outlet for 30 seconds and plugging it back in. Please allow up to 2 minutes for things to fully power back on. Sometimes, this pop-up message can linger after a period of not being able to collect the payment, but it should be gone before your next bill generates on the 12th.   

-Damian 

Nope - still doing it, powered the modem down etc - I guess I'll have to put up with it until the 12th. We longtime Hughesnet customers are a tough bunch !!! *grins*

maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

Someone correct me, please, if this is a totally ridiculous notion, but what if it's the browser? Does it happen with all the browsers? Does it happen in incognito mode? Maybe delete cookies and history and see what happens? 

Thanks for the suggestion Maratsade - I deleted browsing history and cookies and STILL get the message - also get it on other browsers...............

Michael,

You and @maratsade are correct in the fact that this is indeed how our billing works regarding the expiration date. I do apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused and I am glad this was able to be resolved. Please message us anytime if you ever have any further questions or concerns. 

@GabeU

That GIF is great! Lol 😃

-Damian 

Yay - my credit card was charged the monthly fee on the regular billing date and the spam has stopped !!!!
The messages started March 1st and the expiration date on the card was 03/2019 (good to the end of the month) I wonder if HN thought the card expired at the start of the month.
Anyways, as mentioned above, inputing the replacement card info a few days later did not stop the spam.................

maratsade

"The messages started March 1st and the expiration date on the card was 03/2019 (good to the end of the month) I wonder if HN thought the card expired at the start of the month."

Often billing departments work this way, and this needs to be taken into account by credit card users.  It's an automated process, so it doesn't really think like a human would.   Glad this was resolved for you.

GabeU

@maratsade wrote: 

Often billing departments work this way, and this needs to be taken into account by credit card users.  It's an automated process, so it doesn't really think like a human would.   Glad this was resolved for you.

It was the gremlins.  They're hiding in everything!  😛 

giphy.gif