Cancellation billing

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Dis-satisfied
Freshman

Cancellation billing

I started service Jan 20, 2017. My current (Oct 20 2019) invoice says I'm at 22 months. That means my 24th month should be Dec 20. At what date is it safe for me to call and cancel so I won't incur any additional charges, such as another month's bill or etf? I am aware of the unreturned equipment fee, but as of now, I am only concerned with other cancellation charges.
Thank You.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@Dis-satisfied 

HughesNet uses forward billing, so when your invoice is generated on the 20th and the funds are collected, it's paying for the month ahead.  So, when your bill is created on Dec 20th, it will be paying for your service from Dec 20th through Jan 20th, which is the date your contract ends.  

If you call to cancel after your Dec 20th invoice is generated and your payment is collected, the effective cancellation date for your service will be Jan 20th, 2020, which is the day your contract ends.  If you call to cancel after Dec 20th, there will be no ETF, because that last invoice and payment (Dec 20th) will be for your service through the end of your commitment (Jan 20th).

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Liz

Hi Tammy,

I was able to locate your account, the billing system says your commitment ends 01/20/2020.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

So when is my last payment due? Dec 20 or Jan 20? And, if it's Jan 20, why does my invoice (from app) say this:
'Promo10/20/19nullMonthly Credit (22 of 24)11/20/19-5.00null50Promo Service Credit10/20/19nullMonthly Credit (22 of 24)'
It appears to me that I have already fulfilled 22 months of a 24 month contract, making my last payment due Dec 20., in which case, do I call to cancel BEFORE or AFTER this date, to avoid additional monthly payments, or early termination fees?
GabeU

@Dis-satisfied 

HughesNet uses forward billing, so when your invoice is generated on the 20th and the funds are collected, it's paying for the month ahead.  So, when your bill is created on Dec 20th, it will be paying for your service from Dec 20th through Jan 20th, which is the date your contract ends.  

If you call to cancel after your Dec 20th invoice is generated and your payment is collected, the effective cancellation date for your service will be Jan 20th, 2020, which is the day your contract ends.  If you call to cancel after Dec 20th, there will be no ETF, because that last invoice and payment (Dec 20th) will be for your service through the end of your commitment (Jan 20th).

Thank you GabeU. This is the answer I was looking for. I needed it to be clarified, because HN doesn't exactly make it clear enough- at least not for me.
GabeU

@Dis-satisfied 

You're quite welcome, and I know exactly what you mean.  

I should also mention that, if you're a lease customer, they'll send an equipment return kit out when the service is turned off.  I can't remember if it's on that exact date or within a day or two of that date.  Nevertheless, it's basically a box with a list of the equipment needed and how to pack it in that box.  It will also include a pre-paid return shipping label, as well as a packing slip that will go back with it.  I think it comes with a piece of box tape, too.  It will include instructions regarding how to remove the radio from the dish, which is fairly easy.    

Before the box is taped closed, it's a good idea to get a snapshot of what's packed in the box.  This way, if something happens en route and a part comes out, you can show that it was, in fact, packed in the box.  I don't know that this happens very often, if ever, but it's always better to be safe than sorry, especially with things that cost a good bit.  It's also a good idea to get a snapshot of the return shipping label tracking number and the return packing slip.  This way you have them for your records.  

I can't remember how many days you have to send it back, but it's adequate.  Just make sure to do so.  

Lastly, this is a PDF of the return instructions that will come with the kit, just in case you want to see it sooner so that you know what you'll need to do.  🙂