Hughesnet Community

HUGHESNET is the worst service!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dss33971814

HUGHESNET is the worst service!

where have you seeing that you are charged rental fee for a DISH sitting in your roof? I was so angry and taken back that they are monopolizing the charges because they can and we do not have another option but to use them...their service is so bad! and they are not upfront on the costs until you get the bill..

3 REPLIES 3
Amanda

Hello

We're sorry you feel that way. Mostly all companies who have to install equipment for the service to work will charge a lease fee if the equipment is not purchased outright. The majority of this decision is made at the sales point depending on the purchaser's credit. If you are still a very new customer, you can purchase your equipment for $400 but you will lose any promotions or rebates that were associated with leasing the equipment.

Thank you
Amanda
El Dorado Netwo
Advanced Tutor

I never recommend ANY of my customers buy the equipment. Here's my take on leasing vs. purchasing:
  • Internet delivery technology is evolving rapidly. Hard to know what new technology will be available two years from now when your HughesNet contract is up. Leasing means you send back the radio and modem at the end of the contract and you don't need to deal with the gear beyond that. You would not need to remove or ship back the dish.
  • The HughesNet 24-month contract and warranty is the same whether you lease or purchase.
  • If you continue to lease, the $10/mo lease payment is treated as an extended warranty on the equipment. There would still be a charge for the service call in either event but replacement of the equipment itself would be covered.
  • If you're lucky, you may be able to get 20% to 50% on the dollar if you want to try selling your purchased gear at the end of the contract. There are some sellers on eBay. Pricing would really depend on whether the technology has become obsolete.
  • Currently, Retailers can't write new service orders for used equipment so there is no savings for someone who purchases used gear. All new-customer orders are written for 24-month contracts with new gear, and there are no "month-by-month" service plans available. This could change, but that's the way it is now.
  • If you think you'll have the service more than 30 months, then purchase the gear. Otherwise, better to lease it. It's cheaper to borrow HughesNet's money interest-free for 30 months and pay them back at $10/mo. through the lease fee.
El Dorado Networks |Diamond Springs, CA | eldoradonetworks.com
Chris11
Alum

Hi Rosalba,

I Hope everyone was able to help address your concerns. If you have anymore questions feel free to let us know. 

Thanks,
Chris