Help! Lost 8.5 GB in Data overnight!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
QDLLC
New Poster

Help! Lost 8.5 GB in Data overnight!

When my router dashboard came up, it said I was down to 1.1 GB for my current cycle.  I had 8.5 yesterday (10/30), and I was hardly using the Internet in this time.  No way someone else is on my WiFi network...its range can't go far beyond the house and the next house over is well outside of WiFi range.  How do I get this back.  I'd have to do something like download a video game to eat that much data in such a short time...which I wasn't.

AEA11ED6-5292-44D4-A3AC-B236E1D5CAA4.png

4 REPLIES 4
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

QDLLC,

That can be an automatic update from something, Windows. Mac, apps, smart TVs, and others.  It can also be the system catching up to data usage.

The reps here can can probably tell you at what time the data was used.  

Also check what's connected to your system. Go to this system page and click "General" then "Connected device info" and you will see what's currently connected and what was recently disconnected. 

Thanks for replying.

8 GB+ overnight? I think not. That’s the capacity of a modern video game download...which was not going on, and we weren't (nor do we) stream video.  Even normal YouTube use doesn't eat up data that fast.

If it's some kind of consumption recalibration, I'd like to know how or why it happened as the system has been consistent in showing me how much data I've used during the current period.

maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

There is no calibration issue. Sometimes the data takes a while to update from day to day, and that's not an error, it's a normal happening. 

You are the only one who can figure out what ate your data, as the data-eating happened on your side of the modem. The modem itself does not eat your data; data is used when something on your side of the modem, on your network, is using it, as stated in the previous post.  

You can try calling the customer service 24/7 phone line and see what troubleshooting steps the agent has for you.

The issue may be solved.  The chart is not representative of the data on their system.  When it spiked up, I thought my plan had reset, but then it corrected a day or so later.  They're reporting the glitch so it gets fixed.  Both the chart on their site and the control center on the router were affected by the glitch...showing the same numbers while their system had the actual statistics from daily and cumulative usage.