Hughesnet Community

Not really liking hughesnet service

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
puppylover723

Not really liking hughesnet service

Why is hughesnet charging me as a prepaid service.I think iam going back to my cablr company where i had cable and internet for. 80.bucks a month. This hughes net is a rip off..My bill is already 157.00 and not due till the 18th but,why are you trying to charge my card card before its time?
18 REPLIES 18
ljaj2008
Freshman

I really want to know - you had cable with internet available?

What made you choose to switch to satellite internet?
puppylover723

My neighbor had hers installed on a promotion for free and i wanted to try.Now we are both fed up with this service.
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Please be aware that Hughesnet is not meant to compete head on with Cable or decent DSL services.  Hughesnet has a low data cap compared to land-line internet providers.  While you can do many things that you normally would on cable, it's not as smooth flowing as cable.
ljaj2008
Freshman

Why move to a limited (has data caps) service when you had an unlimited one?

I admit that I had misgivings about keeping HughesNet after discovering I could get 4G LTE here, and couldn't find anything for sure about the 30-day grace period in time to make the decision easy, so I shrugged and figured we would just stick with it because it would be a good thing for my non-tech hubby. That is because I know the service is expensive and that 10GB of data is not very much.

I see a post every other week by someone who wants to go back to cable. I never would have chosen data capped internet over unlimited where unlimited was available. So I wonder - is it the satellite making it seem "space age," a belief that 10GB is a lot of data? (If you are my age, and started learning BASIC programming on a TRS-80 Model I, and had a 640K 20MB computer while selling them when we were assured the MS-DOS couldn't use more than 1MB of RAM and could only use 640K for regular program use... I can see 10GB seeming huge if you hadn't owned another device since)...
ljaj2008
Freshman

I admit to still marveling at my cell phone. I can remember predicting the day that miniaturization would let me put my hands on a computer more powerful than the overgrown 128K calculators sold as hand-held computers, but when I look at my phone and its capabilities (and the resolution of its touch-enabled screen!), I still am impressed.
puppylover723

Why does hughes net claim to be the fastest and they are not? Whys this crazy deal with buying 'token's' for data? I cant understand why service is so bad with this company? Who's up between 2and 8 am anyways.Ppl work you know..
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Won't happen... That's all I can say...  Do you ever see TWC or Comcast or any of the major players advertise that they are part of the 6 strikes or 3 strikes policies, and will accept any complaints from the RIAA or other copywrite holders, even if it wasn't your home that did it?  No ISP will advertise the bad my friend.
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

The 2:00 to 8:00AM zone exists as a bonus period only because there are far less people online at that time, and this is the time that it's best for automated downloads to begin on a users computer.
Liz

Hi puppylover723,

Welcome to the community and thank you for posting. When you are on auto-pay, your card on file gets charged once the bill comes out (the "bill date"). That is why you're charged before the due date. If you would like to change your bill date to one that is more convenient for you, please give us a call at 866.347.3292 anytime, at your convenience so we can make the change for you.

Thanks,
Liz
If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

ljaj2008
Freshman

I need to find all the places to schedule those... otherwise I am starting them manually when I am up for the bathroom one of my four or five times each night.

Puppylover, I have to agree with Jezra. This doesn't seem like a good fit for you. I have never been able to have cable internet, or fiber (except at work for the phone company). The most recent experience was 1.5MBPS DSL on a bad pair that the local phone company refuses to replace (no good pairs to cut to). The phone company has been allowing my internet to regularly fail daily for EIGHT YEARS. They refuse to replace 50 yards of six pair cable. When I lived in Denver, our techs used six-pair wire as a drop!

I know I can manage our network and expectations to be content with HughesNet. I also can appreciate what else I have here where there are no other internet choices: Egyptian and Polish Arabians, cattle, chickens, Nubian goats, wildflowers, being on many bird and butterfly migration routes, living near a private managed wetlands.and being able to see it from my living room window.

I have expensive internet, expensive electricity, longer drives and higher gasoline prices. Often propane is higher than natural gas prices. It is, for whatever reason, expensive to live where my neighbors are more than a quarter mile away in any direction. In a weird way, it made doubling the cost of my access while cutting it severely kind of expected. I was hoping to have high speed internet (the phone company said it was here on their website - it lied). But, no luck.

Yes. Leave Hughes. Spend the money on cable internet with no latency, no weather issues, etc. Most of us if we had other options would take them. Cable internet gets you more for your money than satellite.
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Lisa J, there is latency on cable, just much lower than satellite. We're also willing to pay the price for secluded rural living. New house going up in fact, notice the trees, that way for at least half mile in every direction. National forest on three sides actually. Happy, happy.  🙂

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Where is the pool ?
ljaj2008
Freshman

sgoshe - we are having steep and plastic delivered to prep having floor poured for our earth contact home here at the new farm. We don't have a lot of trees close to the house- 189 acres, 109 tillable, the rest mostly in pasture, maybe ten acres or so in trees. The house we are leaving though, has a winding drive, a concrete bridge over an intermittent stream that takes you into a three acre clearing. It feels almost enchanted driving there. I am a little sad to be going, but the wetlands, and the seven-acre lake, and the little wooded creek... the new place, for all of its fences, fields and barns, also has its own charms.

So neat that you are building, too! We ended up putting a camper at the building site so we could keep all the livestock together and refinish the hardwood floors and other projects before putting our old house up for sale. What are you doing while building?
ljaj2008
Freshman

This sweet guy (Four this year, with my granddaughter) and his brothers, plus location... peace, quiet and family are what makes my terribly expensive lifestyle so worthwhile. I will pay more for internet...
ljaj2008
Freshman

Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Wow Lisa, your "pets" are larger than mine !

Meet little Tessa (she doesn't know she is a Dog)

ljaj2008
Freshman

She is lovely, Gwalk. I have three dogs (Merri, a Lab/Pyrenees mix; Hank, a Wheaten Terrier mix (our best guess), and Princess, a Pyrenees we use as a livestock guardian dog for chickens (about forty, including bantam and large fowl), Nubian goats (four does, five doelings, and one buck) and our five guinea fowl. We also have five cats (Mr Twisty, Ashekebibbles, Duchess, George and Boomerang/KrazyCat). Then there are the horses. The two posted are Fyre (4-year old Egyptian Arabian; his grandsire is Thee Desperado) and Midnight. Midnight is the dam of my colt and yearling. Their sire is the sire of Fyre. They are both black, with Shadow having a star and two white feet, and Joey being all black (but bleaching to seal easily).