Unethical Practices When Cancelling Account

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hoyden71
Freshman

Unethical Practices When Cancelling Account

I need to speak to someone in corporate about an issue. I have been on the phone with customer support for an hour with no resolution. The issue is I moved to another state in November. I had HughesNet for 5 years when I called to CANCEL my service because of the move. I told the representative that I was moving to Dallas and would be using ATT and would not be using HughesNet. Again, I told him to CANCEL my service for over 20 minutes he kept trying to sell me on using HughesNet. Why on earth would I use satellite internet when I had access to 4G unlimited data at a fraction of the cost?! He did not listen to me and instead SUSPENDED my account. I told him I would not be using HughesNet now or EVER again. He directed me to keep the equipment and not send it back “just in case” I ever decided to use HughesNet again. So knowing I would never need the equipment I disposed of it during the move. DishTV directed me “just in case” to send their equipment back even though it was very possible it was obsolete and no return was needed, so I did. I even packed it up and moved it to my new home to be able to send it back! I would have gladly done the same for HughesNet if I had been directed to do so, I was NOT!!

I got an email yesterday notifying me that my service had been upgraded and a confirmation email. I called to see what was going on since I CANCELLED my service in November. This is when I found out that my service was not cancelled but SUSPENDED for 6 months instead. By the way, suspension leaves you on the books as a HughesNet customer as where cancelled means you are no longer a customer and taken off the number count for customers. Looks like someone was directed not to lose customers or to retain a certain number to hit a quota therefore I was suspended and not CANCELLED!

Here’s the kicker, now that the account is officially cancelled they want their equipment back or $300. The same equipment the representative told me to hang on to “just in case” I ever wanted to use HughesNet again. The same equipment that I disposed of because there would NEVER be a “just in case” and I would NEVER use HughesNet again.

The initial report is packed with lies. I never agreed to a 6 month suspension of my account, I never said I wasn’t sure of my new provider and I might use HughesNet. I told the representative to cancel, cancel, cancel, CANCEL my account! I told him which provider I was going to use and provided my new address in Texas. I told him numerous times to CANCEL my account. He instead decided for his own benefit to suspend my account not cancel it and NEVER directed me to send the equipment back!

I find the refusal to cancel accounts just to hit or maintain a number along with the misdirection of what to do with equipment VERY, VERY unethical. I REFUSE to pay the equipment fee and I want this issue to be investigated and the equipment charge stopped or removed.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Hi Amanda,

Thank you so much for your patience and understanding. We've sent this up to management for investigation and I'll ensure that you're not hit with the unreturned equipment fees.

Feel free to post back if you have additional concerns.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

View solution in original post

Hello Hoyden71,

This is part of the standard termination protocol, you have nothing to worry about. In addressing your concerns, closing everything on your account out, and making sure you weren't charged an Unreturned Equipment Fee, there was a lot of finangling done on our side. I have set it in our system that we've received your equipment so no UEF for you. 

I do apologize for causing you alarm, we've taken care of your UEF. 

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Liz

Good morning Hoyden71,

Welcome to the community and thank you for posting. We take these concerns seriously so I've pulled up your account and will investigate further for you. I'll post back once I have any updates or additional questions.

Your patience and understanding are much appreciated.

Thank you for looking into the matter. I look forward to hearing back from you.

Amanda

Hi Amanda,

Thank you so much for your patience and understanding. We've sent this up to management for investigation and I'll ensure that you're not hit with the unreturned equipment fees.

Feel free to post back if you have additional concerns.

Thank you for all your help with this matter and for taking care of the equipment charges.

Have a great day and thank you again,
Amanda

This matter is still not taken care of. I recieved an email from UPS this morning that I have a delivery coming to my old address. The shipment was placed yesterday the 28th???

Order Accepted time:    Tue 03/28/2017 at 22:19 GMT

Placement Time: Tue 03/28/2017 at 22:19 GMT

Destination Address:

Delivery time: Thu 03/30/2017 at 23:00 CDT

Your flight plan is as follows:

Inventory Items:
Item #  Rev Designator Description Serial#    Lot#  Init. Rsv.  Ship.      Status
                                                    Qty   Qty   Qty
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1039604 0              KIT,                         1     1     1         shipped   
-0002                  HT1000,                                                      
                       LEASE                                                        
                       RETURN                                                       

Shipment Dimensions and Content:
Qty L    xW    xH         Weight      Content Type     Shipping Bill
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1   11.0 x12.0 x13.0  in  2.0     lb  Inventory Items  1Z7AF3880332485746       

Total Pieces: 1
Total Weight: 2.0   

Hello Hoyden71,

This is part of the standard termination protocol, you have nothing to worry about. In addressing your concerns, closing everything on your account out, and making sure you weren't charged an Unreturned Equipment Fee, there was a lot of finangling done on our side. I have set it in our system that we've received your equipment so no UEF for you. 

I do apologize for causing you alarm, we've taken care of your UEF. 

Thank you!