Hughesnet Community

confused about data usage

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
VortecCouple

confused about data usage

My wife and I recently moved to a different home. We were previously customers of Comcast but was forced to use satellite service as we are now in a rural area. We signed up for HughesNet on 10/14/17 under the 10G plan.

When we used Comcast as our ISP, their rep told us that we only used about 2% of our 10G plan per billing cycle.  Our surfing, Facebook, and Youtube activities have not changed but I find that we have exceeded the 10G allotment with Hughes??  I am wondering why we are using so much data?

We also had DishNet installed at the same time of Hughes service and question if downloading their movies is eating up our data?  

8 REPLIES 8
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@VortecCouple

Are you utilizing Hughesnet to watch on demand movies with the Dish satellite receiver?  If so, that can chew through your data in no time.  Even if you don't watch on demand, a satellite receiver that is connected to Hughesnet (or any other ISP, for that matter) can use data for other things.    

With that said, to further help you with data usage issues, and some tips on saving data, including apps, you should repost your question in the Tech Support section.  

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

"When we used Comcast as our ISP, their rep told us that we only used about 2% of our 10G plan per billing cycle."

Never heard of Comcast having "plans" let alone a 10G one. Their service is usually 200-250GB across the board from what I understand. They are cable, not satellite.

They have different speed plans but the amount is the same, quite high.

GabeU

@BirdDog

I'm wondering if maybe it was a 10Mbps plan, as doing a Google search shows that they may have, or have had, something like that.  Something called Comcast Internet Essentials.  

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

@GabeU wrote:

@BirdDog

I'm wondering if maybe it was a 10Mbps plan, as doing a Google search shows that they may have, or have had, something like that.  Something called Comcast Internet Essentials.  

@VortecCouple seems to be conflating data amount with speed, two very different things. Again like you say, should repost under different topic like Tech Support or Products and Plans, this is the billing section.

VortecCouple, do you have a problem with your billing?

Neither of you were helpful at all to @VortecCouple. Aren't you here to help? Telling them "post your comment in another category" does nothing for the customer, and they should be your top priority.
GabeU

@HughesNetSucks4

First, this is not the tech support site.  Data usage is a tech support issue.  

Secondly, please stop spamming.  

Cheryld

I Fully understand!  We have been customers of HughesNet for probably 4 years. Unfortunately, We are unable to contract any other service where we live since we live so far out.  I have made too many calls over the years and have heard so many excuses from them about the slow, impossible to stream service. A friend down the road said she signed up with them using their 'Gen5' service and liked it.  So we signed up.  Was VERY fast for about a month.  We can stream videos.  However, guess what?  30gb that should be fulfilling our needs since there are just 2 adults here.  It's advertised as the service that will 'run a household'...yea, right!  It takes 1.8gb to run a Netflix 40 minute series show!!!!  We run out so fast, w/i a week or so  while attempting to be conservative.  It's ridiculous.  However, I was told that fiber optic lines are coming along the highway so once they get here we are going to drop Hughes.  Unless a miracle happens and their service becomes more usable and less like crooks!  It's also VERY overpriced.  

GabeU

@Cheryld

First, it's not "overpriced."  It costs what it does because it is the most expensive internet service to provide, per capita.  

Secondly, a 30GB plan can be enough to "run a household," but what it means to "run a household" may mean something different to different people.  Hughesnet is not made for cord cutting.  One can stream with Hughesnet, but that doesn't mean one can stream with it like they can with an unlimited service.  It is a service that is both expensive and difficult to provide, and it fits a niche market.  Hughesnet provides internet service.  How that service is used, and how the data included in that service is used, is entirely up to the customer.  

And, like satellite for internet, there is satellite for TV.