"account is limited"

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kirk Merley
Sophomore

"account is limited"

" contact information is missing or incorrect"   ... and then there is button at the bottom of the message to update my information.  That button leads me to a url:  HUSUB.APP.LINK/WROUL7JJ5"  which is a website that is for sale!  My account is already limited enough by the throttling they are putting on the satellite...  I will be happy to provide the correct information, but trying to access either the site above or in the account information section of customer support is impossible.  CAN SOMEBODY HELP???

7 REPLIES 7
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

Kirk, that sounds like a phishing email, someone trying to steal your personal info. I hope you didn't enter any usernames or passwords or anything else. 

This is the origin, from the message:  "HughesNet Support" <kpmalone@hughes.net>     I assumed that it was phishing too, but I cannot access my account information on the customer support site.  No, I have not released any information.  The credit card that they are billing to expired this month and the new data needs to be entered... that is my assumption on what triggered this message... it appears to be valid.  I am going to trace the IP address of the message next.

The IP address is 147.75.66.161, which comes back to "packet host, inc"  in New York.

maratsade

Hm, well, let's wait and see what the mods on this site have to say.  It does sound like it was triggered by the card expiring.

@Liz 

Kirk Merley wrote:

This is the origin, from the message:  "HughesNet Support" <kpmalone@hughes.net>     I assumed that it was phishing too, but I cannot access my account information on the customer support site.  No, I have not released any information.  The credit card that they are billing to expired this month and the new data needs to be entered... that is my assumption on what triggered this message... it appears to be valid.  I am going to trace the IP address of the message next.

OK TROOPS... STAND DOWN.  I CONTACTED THE SUPPOSED INITIATOR OF THE EMAIL AND HE CONFIRMS THAT IT IS FAKE.  WHETHER THE POWERS THAT BE WANT TO PURSUE IT FURTHER IS UP TO THEM... I WILL HELP IN ANY WAY I CAN, BUT AM IGNORING THE ORIGINAL MESSAGE.    CAP'N KIRK

maratsade

Standing down from general quarters, Cap'n. 

Good for you for pursuing this and figuring it out!

GabeU

@Kirk Merley 

This goes without saying, of course, but just in case, if you clicked that button make sure to run your scans.  Perhaps even the Norton Power Eraser.