cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apple 2017 OS availability dates

Teaching Assistant

Apple 2017 OS availability dates

19 Sep 17 - iOS 11

25 Sep 17 - MacOS 10.13 (High Sierra)

 

Wake me up when September ends...

12 REPLIES
Teaching Assistant

Re: Apple 2017 OS availability dates

If you prefer updating iOS apps through iTunes on your computer to reduce redundant downloads... those days are over.

Apple decided to remove all iOS app updating through iTunes. 😡😡😡😡😡

You now have to do it through your device(s).

Highlighted
Teaching Assistant

Re: Apple 2017 OS availability dates

Oh, by the way... the iOS App Store downloads everything TWICE.

Somehow suddenly, 50GB for Bonus Time doesn't sound like it will last a month with four (4) iOS devices, and the same apps downloading up to 8 times.

Teaching Assistant

Re: Apple 2017 OS availability dates

How big are these updates?

 


MarkJFine wrote:

19 Sep 17 - iOS 11

25 Sep 17 - MacOS 10.13 (High Sierra)

 

Wake me up when September ends...


 

Teaching Assistant

Re: Apple 2017 OS availability dates

Gee, thanks, Apple. 

 


MarkJFine wrote:

If you prefer updating iOS apps through iTunes on your computer to reduce redundant downloads... those days are over.

Apple decided to remove all iOS app updating through iTunes. 😡😡😡😡😡

You now have to do it through your device(s).


 

Teaching Assistant

Re: Apple 2017 OS availability dates

Um...what??  Why does it do that? Is it a glitch, or does the bloody thing want to make sure it downloaded right, so it does it again, for good measure?

 

 


MarkJFine wrote:

Oh, by the way... the iOS App Store downloads everything TWICE.

Somehow suddenly, 50GB for Bonus Time doesn't sound like it will last a month with four (4) iOS devices, and the same apps downloading up to 8 times.


 

Teaching Assistant

Re: Apple 2017 OS availability dates


maratsade wrote:

How big are these updates?


iOS is usually 1 GB or so.

MacOS is usually about 5 or 6GB.

Usually this accompanies an update to Xcode (for software developers), which is another 5 or 6 GB.

Teaching Assistant

Re: Apple 2017 OS availability dates


maratsade wrote:

Um...what??  Why does it do that? Is it a glitch, or does the bloody thing want to make sure it downloaded right, so it does it again, for good measure?


No idea. It's very bizarre. The little download circle goes around once, then it goes around again.

Nobody is happy about this, or this new change. It's bonkers.

Teaching Assistant

Re: Apple 2017 OS availability dates

Well, pitchforks and rope time, then, and let's head for Apple HQ. 

Teaching Assistant

Re: Apple 2017 OS availability dates

I may have been premature about it downloading twice. The download circle goes around twice, but there's a pattern where the first time around it fairly quick, and I think the second time seems like is the bulk of it. Combined, the size of the download doesn't come close to what's listed, which is probably the delta file between the installed version and the downloaded version.