ES19 slowdown tonight? 9/10/2018

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

ES19 slowdown tonight? 9/10/2018

For those on the ES19 who normally have decent speeds, is anyone else seeing a significant slowdown tonight? At 9:33PM EST.  

This question if only for those mentioned.  Please do not turn this thread into a rant against HughesNet.  Thank you.  

29 REPLIES 29
alfresco
Senior

I'm in California. I got home from work at 5;00 Haven't noticed a slow down. in fact it's going pretty fast for me and I'm in FAP.

Monday Night Football...

Phenomena is not just Sunday afternoons.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
maratsade

Yep, there's that too, definitely.  🙂

@MarkJFine wrote:

Monday Night Football...

Phenomena is not just Sunday afternoons.

I post our podcast weekly on Mondays for a 10am Tuesday publication time. I have to pull down the raw file from our Slack channel before post-production and SFTPing it to the site. If I can get it done before 4 or 5pm Monday during football season it's a good thing, but it depends upon when the file is ready. Otherwise, I just leave it until early morning Tuesday.

All the streamers and cord-cutters eating bandwidth, then they complain "I can't stream", "too much buffering", "unwatchable" when it's the main source of the problem. Every. single. time. #smh

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
maratsade

"All the streamers and cord-cutters eating bandwidth, then they complain "I can't stream", "too much buffering", "unwatchable" when it's the main source of the problem. Every. single. time. #smh"

Yes. Those who create the problem complain about the problem. It goes to false expectations. 

@maratsade wrote:
Yes. Those who create the problem complain about the problem. It goes to false expectations. 

In space, no one can hear you scream.

Reggie
Teaching Assistant

What if we send all the complainers ( not those that have real issues ) in space. Thier Mission to fix the satelite to thier expectations. They can return only if the satelite is fixed to our expectations.

Better idea:
1. Gate them to some barren rock.
2. Send the Odyssey or Daedalus to beam the rock's gate and dhd off the planet once they get there.

Even better idea;

Put them in a spacecraft that looks like a DC-10 and drop them in a volcano. All Hail Xenu!

GabeU

@alfresco wrote:

Even better idea;

Put them in a spacecraft that looks like a DC-10 and drop them in a volcano. All Hail Xenu!

Don't forget the hydrogen bombs.  And watch out for flying thetans.  Have a few of those land on you and you're done for!  😛

Hey Gabe, just checking in. Are you still having any issues with this? 

-Brooke

GabeU

@Brooke wrote:

Hey Gabe, just checking in. Are you still having any issues with this? 

-Brooke

So far it seems to be about the same.  It's not a terrible speed or anything, just a bit lower than usual.  It's only during the peak usage period, though.  Outside of that my speeds are still fantastic.

I'll keep an eye on it over the next few days.  It's not really at the point that I need help with it or anything, but if it does get to that I'll make sure to create a post in Tech Support.   I started the post on here mainly out of curiosity.  I thought that, perhaps, it could be load balancing related to the outage or something like that.    

Okie doke, I figured you were simply inquiring, but wanted to be sure! Glad to hear so far there isn't any persistent issues. 🙂 

-Brooke

maratsade

Significant slowdown here tonight -- 1.2 Mbps.   

slow.png

Edit: file size is small because the 25MB file wouldn't work. 

GabeU

@maratsade

Wow.  That's pretty darn slow!

Mine hasn't been anywhere near that slow, though it's acted as if it were.  My tested evening speeds have showed a slowdown into the teens, but my actual experience during that time period makes it seem like the speed is more like what you just showed, taking much longer for websites to open.

Right now mine seems okay, both in actual usage and speed testing (in the 40s), but it's only 6:30PM.  

maratsade

It is likely a combination of things in my case. I'll keep an eye on it.  🙂  I wonder if the big weather event is affecting you too.

@GabeU wrote:

Wow.  That's pretty darn slow!

Mine hasn't been anywhere near that slow, though it's acted as if it were.  My tested evening speeds have showed a slowdown into the teens, but my actual experience during that time period makes it seem like the speed is more like what you just showed, taking much longer for websites to open.

Right now mine seems okay, both in actual usage and speed testing (in the 40s), but it's only 6:30PM.  

maratsade

I have to add this for @MarkJFine: I want to stream and I can't! Waaaaah! I want my MTV!  LOL   

Also possible that bandwidth has been allocated specifically to help with hurricane ops.

maratsade

Very likely, and I'm glad they can do that. It's started to slow down now --- get off my beam, people! 😉

All's well on the left coast! I live in eastern WA, so east of the Cascade Mountain Range. I'm thankful to be in a location with little to no natural disaster concerns. No danger of tsunamis, hurricanes, tornadoes, and only a remote possibility of earthquakes or volcanoes 🌋. No real flooding concerns. The only real danger out here is (human caused) fire 🔥. Don't think I've ever experienced a weather related slowdown.

On another note, my daughter and I tried the other day to remember when was the last time we turned on the TV. We couldn't do it. It's been months. So Monday we're calling Centurylink and saving $50 per month!

We also hardly ever stream video, which is probably why we end every month in the green, lol! Joy watches a 2-3 minute clip of Stephen Colbert maybe three times a week. I do stream TV shows on Amazon, but I have chronic insomnia, so 95% of it is during bonus time. Of course I use the lowest possible resolution setting, which makes no difference when watching on an iPhone, haha! Whipped through all ten seasons of Stargate SG-1 recently, didn't even burn up my bonus bytes! We usually just check out dvds from the local library. They can get just about any movie we want to watch. Old fashioned, but doesn't cost a penny or a byte!