Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MarkJFine
Professor

Have now seen everything

Rain.

In San Diego.

Enough to cause drop outs and re-acqs at SDO.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
15 REPLIES 15
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Does have to be pretty bad to impact gateway communications. Those folks deal with feast or famine when it comes to rain.

They're currently under flood warnings, which means it's pretty bad.

It's dry, but unlike like Southern Texas where a little squall causes mass drownings.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

And just because I don't want to start a new thread:

I've talked about how strange IoT has gotten in the past and how things that really shouldn't be connected to the internet, just because it would be cool to do it. Without being too specific, have a look at the most recent Wired article. Just know that it's specially R-rated for Valentine's Day.

@MarkJFine wrote:

It's dry, but unlike like Southern Texas where a little squall causes mass drownings.

I've often wondered if Hughes chooses their gateway locations for their clear weather? 

If so, is there one in El Paso, Texas?  I was stationed there between 1967 and 1969.  It almost never rains. but when it does the whole place floods.  Very interesting to drive a deuce and a half  ( army slang for a two and half ton truck)  down one of those flooded desert roads, where there's no fence posts, telephone poles, or anything else to show you where the pavement might be.  You sort of slowly feel your way along.

Funny you say that, because I was thinking about Kelly AFB (now Annex due to BRAC) in San Antonio when I wrote that.

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

You want hot and dry, give the Nellis AFB flightline a try in the middle of summer......OMG!

Almost made it to Nellis once.

@MarkJFine wrote:

Funny you say that, because I was thinking about Kelly AFB (now Annex due to BRAC) in San Antonio when I wrote that.

Great minds think together.  :>)>

I was a Army MP at the time and several of my friends went to dog handler school at Lackland AFB in San Antonio.  Some of those guys were in tears when we all got transferred to a regular MP company, and they all had to give up their dogs     I believe the army has since changed that policy and you can keep your dog now.

Ah, those were the good ole days!  That's one of the problems with getting old, you have so many good ole days behind you, and maybe not so many ahead.  :>)>

Just think, we started out in San Diego, went through El Paso on our way to San Antonio.  At this rate, I'll be back in Florida in nothing flat.  :>)>

Although my background is both Tactical and Strategic Army, but a bit was Army/National. I made it to several AFBs in my career.

@MarkJFine wrote:

Although my background is both Tactical and Strategic Army, but a bit was Army/National. I made it to several AFBs in my career.

I  applied for an "early out' by going to a computer programming school.  They said the were full, but if I made an  'A+' on  the test I could attend anyway   Well, I didn't, and finished out my 2 year enlistment.  I found it funny that later I became a computer programmer.

When I got out in 1969, I started getting letters from everywhere asking me to join their law enforcement agency, starting at a high rank, and waiving my attendance of any the required law enforcement schools or academies.  My brief experience as a MP convinced me, that I would never take a job in law enforcement ever.

One meal at the Ft. Gordon Waffle House would be enough for me to drop out of MP school.

@MarkJFine wrote:

One meal at the Ft. Gordon Waffle House would be enough for me to drop out of MP school.

LOL.  We used to call Augusta  Discusta.  No bars, one movie theater that was closed, and one house of ill repute that was off limits. 

I attended a DCS school in Augusta later.  Boy, had that place changed,  fine restaurants, bars, theaters, and beautiful Georgia peaches everywhere. 

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@gaines_wright wrote:

@MarkJFine wrote:

I've often wondered if Hughes chooses their gateway locations for their clear weather? 

If so, is there one in El Paso, Texas?

Yep, but only for the ES17 satellite, not the ES19, so primarily Gen4 customers.  

They they may base them on the weather they get, though there are a few in places that can get heavy precipitation.  There's one in Seattle. 

While weather has something to do with it, you'll notice they're basically laid out in a matrix for J2.

I used to have GoogleMap image with pins for the locations, which would really show that, but can't find it.

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

I wonder if they're all west of the Mississippi because the ES17 provided service primarily in the east, and they decided to keep it the same for the ES19, as well as the Gateways that can be used for both.