Hughesnet is the only provider I can get in my area

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
NickDalton625
Freshman

Hughesnet is the only provider I can get in my area

As the title says, Hughesnet is the only provider in my area, so I might as well make the absolute best of what I have, even though I'd prefer way better. Anyway. I work from home, my line of work requires me to work behind a VPN as well as a couple other safety measures, I have high latency, which is to be expected, are there anyways to bring it down? I'm not getting the download/upload speeds that I should be, which I will be calling about in the morning. The system I work in is really slow, I'm assuming it's because of the fact that I have satellite internet, I burned up 2 hours this morning calling around looking for other providers. But I'm trying to figure out how I can make my internet better so that I can work accurately. Here's a couple pictures. 

This is Hughesnet's speed test.

Hughesnet Speed Test.png

This speed test is from speedtest.net

Speedtest Hughesnet.png 

Thank you for reading my post. If you need anymore information just let me know.

-Nick

4 REPLIES 4
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@NickDalton625

Make sure to check if you are out of data.   

Unfortunately, using a VPN can result in a considerable speed reduction with HughesNet.  You can see if this is what's causing the issue by turning off/disabling your VPN and then seeing what your speed is like.  

If you'd like to troubleshoot the issue, please create a new topic in the Tech Support section, which you can do here.  It's possible that a rep may see this thread and move it to the Tech Support section, as well.  

Those speeds are without the VPN on, I only use the VPN to work. I do have data so that's not the issue, there's no way I can test to see if the system I work in is slow without the VPN because in order to get into that system I have to be behind the VPN. 

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@NickDalton625

If that's the speed you are getting without using the VPN, that's pretty bad.  Again, though, to get help you should create a new topic in the Tech Support section.