Internet

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SZ1
New Poster

Internet

I have good speeds 25mbs coming from the satellite, but streaming video buffers a lot.

anyone have the same issues? Only had the service less than a week.

My att hot spot works a lot better with only 7mbs.

Thanks

5 REPLIES 5
MarkJFine
Professor

It's possible you have the resolution set too high. You can either manually drop it down to ~320/480 or so, or kick the video data saver in (which tries to do the same thing).

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@SZ1

As alluded to by Mark, HughesNet has a built in feature called the Video Data Saver.  This feature automatically throttles the service speed when streaming is detected, and to a speed that is normally amenable to streaming in SD (480p) or lower.  This is done to help you save data, as streaming in HD can use quite a bit of it.  With Netflix, streaming in HD can use around 3GB of data per hour, so it can burn through your data fairly quickly at that definition.  If you've got the 20GB plan, that's only just over six hours of HD streaming and you would run out of your Service Plan data, and that's ONLY the streaming.  Everything else you do online will use data, as well, so even six hours of HD streaming on a 20GB plan really wouldn't be feasible.

Because of the Video Data Saver, if you try to stream in HD, or the source of the stream cannot auto adjust to a lower definition, you'll get a lot of buffering, as the throttled speed isn't high enough for HD streaming.  However, if you do want to stream in HD, you can Snooze, or turn off, the Video Data Saver, which will disable the auto speed throttling.  Clicking on the blue link will open a new FAQ page about the Video Data Saver, which also includes instructions for Snoozing it or turning it off.  

Hope this helps.  🙂  

Stance48
New Poster

I have problems all the time, I can’t even watch Netflix because it just sits there and buffers forever, then it says to try again later because my internet connection is poor 😡

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@Stance48

Rather than pitching a fit in multiple threads, you'd be better off asking for help with the alleged issue.  If you care to do so, start a new topic in Tech Support. 

@Stance48

1. This area is not for technical help.

2. This board isn't social media.

3. The OPs issue is nothing like your problem.

4. Spamming nearly every thread with your technical issue in a non-technical area won't get you any support.

If you would like help with your problem please bring it up with as much technical detail as possible in the area clearly marked "Tech Support"

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.