MacBook Pro Trackpad Fun

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MarkJFine
Professor

MacBook Pro Trackpad Fun

...all depends on your definition of fun.

Seems this is a common problem, and not all videos give you the right method to do this.

The trackpad on my early-2013 15" retina had been acting up with the usual signs of age recently: lots of pressure to click or no click at all, making click-drags really frustrating.

So I got one of those Tekton Everybit tool sets from Amazon yesterday. All I needed was the 1.2mm PL to open the back, and a T4 to unscrew the middle section of the battery (which looks like a bomber's vest I might add).

Apparently the adhesive on the metal plate that sits between the middle two battery segments and the back of the trackpad had gotten the exposed portions of trackpad "stuck". Just pulling the segment up and away from the trackpad and blowing out any debris fixed it. #chuffed

Problem was most likely from the battery swelling after years of getting hot. Battery is at 80% capacity and probably needs to be replaced in a few months... To be continued.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
4 REPLIES 4
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

The tools cost ~$20. I may have added one of those silly lighted magnifying visors for $7 just to get free shipping.

Conversely, Apple would have charged me $75 for just talking to me at the Apple Store...

A replacement A1417 battery is only ~$60 and probably could have replaced it at the same time had I ordered one at the same time.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

I could do that.

But then I'd have to deal with customers who are always unhappy because their toys are broken.

"Hold my beer..." 😳