New customer speed below 1 mpbs

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Rickdyke
New Poster

New customer speed below 1 mpbs

Hi new to this forum but thought someone could help. 2 weeks ago we had Hugh’s net installed, wife works from home so we chose the 75 gig business package, dish and router installed. Came home , could not stream Netflix on lowest quality setting, could not log in to work email system timed out, clocked the speed on the Net, it was less than 1 mbps. Called Hugh’s to cancel, account lady said they would wave the $400 dollar cancel fee since it did not work but wanted me to try tech assistance first. After talking to 2 different techs, they both tried doing internal things from their side to n avail. They finally told me they had done all they could from their end, next step would to have a tech out to troubleshoot it but I would have to pay for it. Why do I need to pay if the service they were supposed to provide had not worked from da one. We live in the rural area outside of Spokane and have no other internet options, we really want this to work. The icing on the cake was today, I called to cancel and the guy on the phone said yes we can waive the $400 cancel fee for service but you will still have to pay the $800 fee for cancel of equipment lease. I was floored. I stated the equipment was brand new they could have it back. He then told me they didn’t want it back, you keep it?? Makes zero sense to me, I read through the legal stuff that if you don’t return the equipment you get charged for it? Very frustrated! I had him hold off on the cancel until I could get my blood pressure back to normal. Is this how Hughes truly runs this business...... So disappointed, we really hoped this would work and we were willing to pay 150.00 a month for the service. I would think Hughes would want that business. It’s beyond me how they expect me to pay for a service call when it won’t allow us on at all...........Any thoughts? Thank you
17 REPLIES 17
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

This community is for residential subscribers only. The HN staff on this site don't have much access to the business account side so it's unlikely they can do much, if anything, for you. 

Your subscription to HN constitutes agreement of the terms of the contract.  The subscriber agreement specifies that speeds are not guaranteed and can be slowed down by a multitude of variables, most of them on your side of the equation.  The agreement also states that if you cancel before the end of the 24 month contract, you will have to pay a penalty.  I hope you read the agreement (edit: located at http://legal.hughes.com/BusinessSubAgree_3-16-17.cfm) before you signed up, and I also hope you tried to work with the company to improve your service.

GabeU

@Rickdyke 

You read correctly regarding the leased equipment.  If the equipment is not returned you get charged for it, which I believe is $300.  It's most likely similar to the residential process, in which they will send an equipment return kit when the service is terminated.  You'll need to send back the radio from the dish, the modem and the power pack for the modem.  The return kit will have instructions on how to pack the items and send them back.

Unfortunately, as maratsade suggested, it's very likely that the reps in this support community will not be able to help you.  

Though you assuredly have it, for anyone who reads this thread the Business Customer Care phone number is 800-347-3272.

Thanks for the info, I will work on where to post and how . Thank you

Mikey52
Freshman

Basically Hughes net is terrible. Everyone says so and now I know too. Only got it because cox cable not in area yet. I'll be switching as soon as I can. Yes they hose you with all kinds of cancellation fees. Why wouldn't they, otherwise everyone would quit on them. Service is as slow as dial up, maybe worse. I can hotspot from my phone at 3 times the speed. It's terrible service. I remember the tech saying, remember, it's 88,000 miles up to the satellite and 88,000 miles back. Should have stopped him right then and never got the service. 

I payed $75 a few hours ago why is interner under 1 when it should be over 40?

Because this whole satellite internet delay is terrible. It doesn’t work as advertised. Just my opinion. But I dislike my service terribly.
maratsade

Works for me. The latency is around 600 ms. Works fine for streaming. 

maratsade

Your data may not have refilled yet. The payments usually happen before the date the data refills. Try budgeting your data and see if that works better for you.  And who says the speed should be over 40?  The system is designed for a speed of 25 Mbps, and yes, often it is over that, sometimes by a lot, but there's no "should" about it.  May want to do some research before spreading misinformation.

matlock19611 wrote:

GabeU

@matlock19611 wrote:

Edit:

If you presently have data and want help with your speed issue, please start a new topic in Tech Support.  If you're out of data, your throttled speed can be "as low or lower than 1Mbps".

maratsade

No, not everyone says so, only the people who like you, have issues. If you want to do something more than just whine and rant, start a topic in the appropriate forum and get some help troubleshooting your system. Whining will not get your system working better. 

Mikey52 wrote:

Basically Hughes net is terrible. Everyone says so and now I know too. Only got it because cox cable not in area yet. I'll be switching as soon as I can. Yes they hose you with all kinds of cancellation fees. Why wouldn't they, otherwise everyone would quit on them. Service is as slow as dial up, maybe worse. I can hotspot from my phone at 3 times the speed. It's terrible service. I remember the tech saying, remember, it's 88,000 miles up to the satellite and 88,000 miles back. Should have stopped him right then and never got the service. 

GabeU

@Mikey52 wrote:

Basically Hughes net is terrible. Everyone says so and now I know too.  

Everyone, eh?  So you speak for the remaining ~98% of their 1.3+ million customers that are never heard from? 

It's actually 90,000+ miles round trip, and if that distance caused you pause perhaps you shouldn't have gotten satellite internet in the first place.  And your speed claims are presented with absolutely no context or evidence.  And "all kinds of cancellation fees"?  Try one for the service and one for Voice, with the latter being only if one has it.  That's hardly "all kinds of cancellation fees".

maratsade

"So you speak for the remaining ~98% of their 1.3+ million customers that are never heard from? "

According to the latest Channels newsletter:

channels-summer-2019.png

I remember when they were just under 1 million subscribers. Wasn't that long ago.

GabeU

@maratsade 

Pretty neat.  I knew they were still growing at a slow, but steady rate, but I didn't know that it had now surpassed 1.4 million.  🙂 

For our sake, that growth needs to slow down.  😛

maratsade

"For our sake, that growth needs to slow down."

YES!

Wait till personel and costomers here about your talk. then you will act like a donkeys bottom!

maratsade

No idea what you meant there, dear. 

GabeU

@matlock19611 wrote:

Wait till personel and costomers here about your talk. then you will act like a donkeys bottom!

Um... okay then.  

Considering the fact that both maratsade and myself have been a part of this Community since the day it went live, I'm relatively sure that personel (sic) and customers have already heard our "talk".