cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MarkJFine
Professor

Scary Email Scams...

Just got a beaut...

Email claims to have captured me in a compromising video by hacking my webcam and will send it to everyone in my addressbook unless I send $1900 to his bitcoin account. Includes an old password of mine as 'proof'.

As if... Did a little research and apparently four people have already fallen for this. The Bitcoin account was flagged as fraudulent: https://bitcoinwhoswho.com/address/1JHwenDp9A98XdjfYkHKyiE3R99Q72K9X4

Came through an MS Outlook.com server, so I reported it to their abuse and legal and offered to assist in any prosection. Let's see how far that goes (not expecting much).

Be careful out there folks...

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
45 REPLIES 45
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@MarkJFine

Jeez!  I'm sure I'll be getting another one, soon.  😛  

maratsade

"However, I would not do anything to engage these people in any way, not even jokingly, because you validate youe existence and you don't know what they'll do as a response."

@MarkJFine, donkeys ago there was a guy in the UK who actually engaged with scammers and tried to scam them back.  He kept a hilarious website with email exchanges. 

I agree with you, though, and think it's best left to the law to deal with these people. 

@maratsade wrote:
I agree with you, though, and think it's best left to the law to deal with these people. 

Yup. Not worth the effort nor the risk. You know what they say about playing with fire.

Best to play invisible with these guys. That way they don't know that you exist, nor what you're doing.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
GabeU

@MarkJFine

Is this it?  This is in the message source info.  

Capture1.JPG