Time to bid adieu

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
FGG
Freshman

Time to bid adieu

I live on the back side of a mountain in WVA.  Cell service isn’t even LTE here.  But I used to be a  happy camper.  I went right from dial up to Gen 3 in 2010 and upgraded to Gen 4 in 2014.   I’ve even used this service over VPN and although it was slow, it was workable.  For 7 years.

Something happened in September and by December, it was no longer tolerable.  It was becoming difficult to work at home and even trying to read emails would give me a dreaded “we’re sorry, but an error has occurred” message.  I didn’t even bother with tech support after finding this forum (except for evaporating tokens).  Didn’t have that kind of time or the ability to deal with an additional level of frustration.  I just sucked it up. 

Streaming or games?  Ya right.  With poor download speeds (sometimes in the kbps), worse upload speeds and a 20G data plan?  Ya right.

But the cable gods smiled on me and granted my prayer in December.  True HSI/unlimited was finally brought into my neighborhood and I never really knew what I was missing.  (Well I did, but there was no use crying over it). 

Believe it or not, decent internet is not a nice to have.  Even without movie streaming or games, our kids are at a distinct disadvantage without it.   Commerce depends on it.

I truly feel for those of you having issues with your service and have no other options.  As for me, my service ends at midnight tonight.  I took great pleasure in speaking with one of those script readers yesterday to cancel it.  And I know that if I ever move again, HSI will be a requirement in the area I end up in.  Never going back to this.  I hope HughesNet can get its act together and provide a value added service for their customers.  See ya.

3 REPLIES 3
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

FGG wrote: 

But the cable gods smiled on me and granted my prayer in December.   

You lucky bugger!  They have a "Broadband For All" initiative in NY, and I'm keeping my hopes up, though in a tempered fashion.  My area is supposedly one that will have ground based broadband by the end of this year.   

I've had HughesNet since Dec 2004, but if this happens I will be bidding them adieu, as well.  

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Congrats! Anyone who says they wouldn't trade satellite internet for high speed cable isn't being honest. The lower latency alone is like having double the speed. I see it when I use my 4g LTE hot spot.

@FGG

Congratulations and good luck on whatever you do.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.