Hughesnet Community

To linux users

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

To linux users

It seems that Linux is actually spying on its users  I've been seeing a small amount of data going to sites like:

golem.canonical.com
chilipepper.canonical.com

Typical of Linux humor. :<)>

When I googled these names I found that these, and other sites containing ".canonical.com" are used by Linux developers to gather user information to be used in designing the next version of Linux.

It can be disabled from a terminal, but it looks complicated.

I think I'll just leave it alone.

"Cheops’ Law: Nothing is ever built on schedule or within budget."
   Lazarus Long

3 REPLIES 3
debbie.jean.bro
Advanced Tutor

So true, lol! I bought what can kindly be referred to as a fixer-upper a couple of years ago and my daughter and I are attempting to, well, fix it up. I've learned that it is not nearly as easy as HGTV makes it look! Everything costs 2-3 times more than I think it will and takes about 4x longer than I estimate, although I'm getting a little better at it.

As for the Linux spying issue, I now live my life by two principles: 1) every time I use an electronic device I assume someone is, at the least, gathering information on me. I just read an article the other day suggesting that vendors have been given access to read the content of my gmail, for example. 2) I assume anytime I'm outside my house I'm being watched by a camera.

I'm not saying I like it (I don't!!!), but I assume it and act accordingly. I also take steps to protect my privacy. I haven't been on my Facebook account for several years and yes! life is possible without it. I'm going to delete my account because I fundamentally disagree with their business model.

@debbie.jean.bro wrote:
So true, lol! I bought what can kindly be referred to as a fixer-upper a couple of years ago and my daughter and I are attempting to, well, fix it up.............

Sharp guy ole Lazarus. :>)>

I had my house built semi finished. I did all the floors, hung all the doors, built and installed all of the cabinets, did all of the lights and ceiling fans, and built and installed all of the window sills.

Took me years, and I really got sick of working on the house all of the time.  Saved money though..

As for the Linux spying issue,.......

I guess I'm naive I didn't supect Linux. I think it's all benign though. Well, I hope it is.

......... I assume anytime I'm outside my house I'm being watched by a camera.

Don't be too sure it's only outside, especially if you have a web cam or smart phone. 

"All societies are based on rules to protect pregnant women and young children. All else is surplus age, excrescence, adornment, luxury or folly which can--and must--be dumped in emergency to preserve this prime function. As racial survival is the only universal morality, no other basic is possible. Attempts to formulate a “perfect society” on any foundation other than “women and children first!” is not only witless, it is automatically genocidal. Nevertheless, starry-eyed idealists (all of them male) have tried endlessly--and no doubt will keep on trying."

Larazas Long

@debbie.jean.bro wrote:
I assume anytime I'm outside my house I'm being watched by a camera.

Might want to assume this inside your home as well these days, that is, if you have any cameras in the home.