Unusual critters thread

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MarkJFine
Professor

Unusual critters thread

I am told this is a wasp that cannot fly...

IMG_0335.JPGhttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dasymutilla_occidentalis also known as the "cow killer."

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
11 REPLIES 11
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

Wow. The nickname seems very apt.... Also, the male has wings, possibly as an evolutionary adaptation that allows him to get away from the female in a hurry.

80-raw_27b73b48e8ab2a4b5d431530fa877177541f351d

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
GabeU

@MarkJFine

I would occasionally see one of those when I lived in VA, as well as cicada killers (their prey).  I've not seen either of them this far north (western NY), though.  

My problem, as of late, is MOLES!!!  Darn things are tearing my lawn up.  GRRRRRRRR!!!!!

maratsade

I had to look up "cicada killers," and now I'm sorry I did.  LOL

@maratsade wrote:

I had to look up "cicada killers," and now I'm sorry I did.  LOL

Oh, we get those in the house sometimes. No idea how they get in.

maratsade

Natural translocation powers. Laser beams. Brute force. 

@MarkJFine wrote:

Oh, we get those in the house sometimes. No idea how they get in.

@maratsade wrote:

Natural translocation powers. Laser beams. Brute force.

Asgard beaming technology

maratsade

YES.

@MarkJFine wrote:

Asgard beaming technology

westruther
New Poster

In VA we referred to these as a Red Ant- Old folks say the sting can be fatal- I always let them go their way- Ive seen 30 to 50 of these in my time, and personally know of no one ever stung by this creature- Good Photo- But there are some other Creatures that I know a little about if anyone is interested- wes

maratsade

I'm interested, if you have pics of other odd critters.

GabeU

@westruther wrote:

But there are some other Creatures that I know a little about if anyone is interested- wes

Absolutely.  🙂