Hughesnet Community

Warm up on a Chilly Day with... CHILI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Liz

Warm up on a Chilly Day with... CHILI

Best Chili Ever(?) https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2010/01/the-best-chili-recipe.htmlBest Chili Ever(?) https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2010/01/the-best-chili-recipe.htmlWhat a day to be back! It's National Chili Day! It's great on its own, or on a hot dog, or ladled into a cut-open bag of Fritos. Are you a chili purist or would you make/eat chili however it's made?

According to the International Chili Society: Traditional Red Chili is any kind of meat, or combination of meats, cooked with red chili peppers, various
spices and other ingredients. Beans and non-vegetable fillers such as rice and pasta are not allowed.
Preference is not given to either cut meat, ground meat, shredded meat or cubed meat.

This "not allowed" business is mainly for the cook-off competition they hold. Personally, the slow cooker chili I make sometimes has 3 different kinds of beans in it. 😄 Any recipes you can share? Here's mine (feel free to modify however you like to suit your preferences):

~1lb ground turkey

seasonings for the ground turkey:

2 tbsp tomato paste

1 tbsp onion powder

1 tbsp garlic powder (or use minced garlic)

1 tbsp Cajun seasoning

1/2 tbsp ground coriander

1/2 tbsp black pepper

1/2 tbsp salt

1 14oz can of crushed tomatoes

1 14oz can of black beans

1 14oz can of red beans

1 14oz can of corn

1 carrot

2 tbsps cumin

1 tbsp chili powder

1 tbsp oregano

1 tbsp paprika

1 tbsp spicy ground pepper

I think that's it... I brown the turkey with the seasonings before dumping it with the rest of the ingredients in the slow cooker for 8 hrs. An hour before it's done, I take some of the "juice" from the chili and add some flour to make a slurry and add it back to the pot to thicken the chili.

I don't usually do this, but I do love eating Fritos with chili hahaha walking taco anyone?

I tend to just throw in whatever canned beans I have in there, I'm a lazy cook.

-Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

6 REPLIES 6
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

The national chili day website:  https://www.nationalchiliday.com/

Walking tacos....that looks fantastic. 

Yes!! I made a walking taco once, it was great. Doesn't 7-Eleven have a chili dispenser? If not, they should. Buy a bag of Fritos, open it, go to town with the chili hahahaha

-Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

maratsade

LOL. That's an excellent idea for when I have to have the chili NOW.  

I'm going to make this thing. It sounds awesome and easy. 

maratsade

I have passed your chili recipe to my wife. She's the one who usually makes chili, and I think she basically improvises. It's always very good, though. 

😮

I hope y'all like it. I've made it for Thanksgiving a couple times since my relatives really enjoyed it. 

-Liz

I always make mine for the superbowl. This year it was especially hot.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.