confused

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
vlzbook
New Poster

confused

I just learned today that I cannot purchase a modem from anywhere, that I have to use the Huges modem, and to top it off, my lease is up and I still cannot purchase a modem even if I continue to use Hugesnet. I am bound to pay the 15.00 a month charge no matter what. What is up with that? I never heard of such nonsense. I

5 REPLIES 5
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

You do have to use the HughesNet modem to use the HughesNet service. I believe you can purchase the HN equipment (thus eliminating the monthly fee), but to make sure, you may want to call the customer service number. 

If your contract is up and you're displeased with the modem issue, you do have the option of canceling the subscription.  

GabeU

I'm not sure if you can convert a lease into a purchase, for which you would still have to purchase the equipment (it's not rent to own), or whether you'd have to terminate your current service, then enter into a new agreement, but with a purchase instead of a lease.  

Judging by $300 non returned equipment fee that is assessed if the equipment is not returned within a set amount of time after service termination (30 days?), it would likely still be at least that amount to purchase the equipment on the current account, if that's even an option.  

It would be better to ask what your options are in the "My Account and Billing" section.  

But yes, like maratsade confirmed, using HughesNet equipment is a requirement, as it alluded to in the agreement.

@GabeU wrote:

I'm not sure if you can convert a lease into a purchase, for which you would still have to purchase the equipment (it's not rent to own), or whether you'd have to terminate your current service, then enter into a new agreement, but with a purchase instead of a lease.  

Just curious as to how long the equipment needs to be leased before I actually own it. I would think that after 2 years I've already bought the modem.

maratsade

I don't think the lease ends, but maybe a moderator can chime in and clarify.

GabeU

@SumaBear 

As stated in what you quoted of my reply, it's not rent to own.  You don't own the eqipment unless you purchase it, and a lease fee is not a purchase plan.  You continue to pay the lease fee for as long as you have leased service, whether that's two years, five years, ten years, etc.  The lease fee does not end.