internet and direct tv

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rbhowell
New Poster

internet and direct tv

At this time I have Direct TV and I am trying to find out how to get rid of this service and just watch my programs through the internet. I am old so all of this is new to me. How does this work? I do not understand MB and GB. Can I use, netflix as example, for my tv viewing and get rid of my money sucking Direct TV? At this time I have the Prime Plus plan with Hughes Net. Is this enough MB's and GB's? Can anyone help me? Or direct me somewhere that can help me?

13 REPLIES 13
MarkJFine
Professor

Just a suggestion, if you're looking to do your TV viewing over the internet, you do not really want to do it with any satellite internet service:

1. I'm not sure there's a plan large enough for full time television viewing. As an example, an hour of HD is roughly 2-3GB if you just downloaded it. Streaming it may take a lot more because of the constant handshaking required. The amount is significantly less at 320p, but still.

2. The demand that streaming video at resolutions much above 320p puts on satellite internet due to just the inherent latency is enough to cause a lot of buffering on your end. It also loads the servers down so everyone else that uses that gateway is affected.

Bottom line: Satellite internet is not a drop-in replacement for TV viewing in the same way that terrestrial-based internet is.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Hi @rbhowell . Without going into a bunch of technical stuff the short answer is even the highest plan on satellite Internet is not meant to be a cord cutter service where you can move all your TV and movie viewing to it. 

There is not enough monthly data available to do all that. Plus because of the delay caused by going through a satellite some people experience problems when streaming video especially at higher definitions.

So no, it is not recommended to use HughesNet for all your TV and movie watching unless you do very little of both and do it at lower definition, as in lower video quality. Even at lower quality 50 GB (Gigabytes) will not last long if doing a lot of video streaming.

EDIT: Mark beat me to it while I was typing.

Thank you. I guess living in the middle of nowhere does have its downfalls. Bummer! 

@rbhowell wrote:

Thank you. I guess living in the middle of nowhere does have its downfalls. Bummer! 

I've had DTV for quite a long time. I've not been a fan since ATT took over. Just try ordering a replacement remote for an HR24 now - you can't. Plus, they cancelled beIN sports (that really torqued me) even though they still use their logo on their plan site. So... sympathies.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@MarkJFine wrote: 

I've had DTV for quite a long time. I've not been a fan since ATT took over. Just try ordering a replacement remote for an HR24 now - you can't. Plus, they cancelled beIN sports (that really torqued me) even though they still use their logo on their plan site. So... sympathies.

Same here.  AT&T's takeover was definitely a negative for the customers.  

With regard to the remote, you should still be able to order the older ones through "Order New Accessories" under "My Equipment" on the DTV site.  The have the original IR only remotes, as well as the RF/IR ones (Universal Remote and Universal RF Remote).  I bought one of the latter remotes about four months ago.  I don't like the newer Genie remotes.

Edit:  Then again, maybe they just haven't changed their site yet and the older remotes are still showing, though you can no longer buy them.  

You must be going to a real old site. It's no longer there for me. I get redirected to an ATT site and you have to call.

You sure you're not looking at something cached?

GabeU

@MarkJFine wrote:

You must be going to a real old site. It's no longer there for me. I get redirected to an ATT site and you have to call.

You sure you're not looking at something cached?

No.  Current DirecTV site.  Same one I pay my bill on every month.  I've never been redirected to an AT&T site.    

DirecTV1.jpg

DirecTV2.jpg

Edit:  Be sure to read through the reviews on Amazon about that remote.  You might not get what you hoped for.  Then again, at that price, it wouldn't be the end of the world if it was faulty.  

Ah. Looks like you've not be moved over to ATT yet for billing.

I ended up ordering a couple of RC66RXs off Amazon, per @gaines_wright's tip for about $12.

GabeU

@MarkJFine wrote:

I ended up ordering a couple of RC66RXs off Amazon, per @gaines_wright's tip for about $12.

If they're doing this with everyone I wonder why they haven't for me.  Could it be becaues DirecTV is the only AT&T connected thing I have?  

Good deal on the remotes.  I'm thinking about getting a spare this month.  They're $15 on the DTV site, but I know for sure that they work.  I can't add them to my bill paying, though, so I have to do it separately.  Still, I should probably do it now, just in case.  I REALLY hate those Genie remotes.  I have two, and they sit on a shelf in a closet.

GabeU

@MarkJFine wrote:

It just happened.  😞

I tried looking at the remotes they offered via the AT&T website and it simply re-routed back to the main page.  What a pain.

"Just try ordering a replacement remote for an HR24 now - you can't."

Will this work?  Might take a lot of effort to set it up though.

https://www.amazon.com/DIRECTV-Universal-BATTERIES-SHIPPING-Portable4All/dp/B00DC30WWI/ref=sr_1_fkmr...?

Yes! It would! Would be great having a pause, 2, and enter button that works.

Cheers.

Exactly what I said but the pros outweigh the cons tenfold.