Can I see where the data is being used?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Gdge
Freshman

Can I see where the data is being used?

We had to buy a few tokens last month so I decided to just go for it and get the 50 gb plan so that I wouldn’t have to keep worrying about it. But now that we’re on the new plan we’re somehow already through half of our data five days into the month. How in the world is that even possible. I’ve been trying to hard to give HughesNet the benefit of the doubt because I realize every company has hiccups, but it’s been nothing but problem after problem for four months now. Is there a way to get everyone who has issues (which seems like every single customer), into some sort of group filing to get out of our contracts? (The website wouldn’t let me use legal terms if I wanted to post). It’s painful how awful the internet is through them. <br>I do have to say all of the company representatives I have worked with have been kind and professional.
11 REPLIES 11
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@Gdge

There are ways to go about pinpointing where your data is going.  Here are a couple of links that may help....

https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/Tech-Support/Understanding-data-usage-data-loss-and-connection-pa...

https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/Tech-Support/HughesNet-Data-Management-Tips-n-Tricks-How-To-Elimi...

If you'd like help in figuring out what's using so much data you should ask for help in the Tech Support section.  

On a side note, I don't know what the other issues are that you've been having, but high data usage not grounds for terminating your contract.  Rather, you've got to work on figuring out just where your data is going.  Again, if you'd like help with that, please post in Tech Support.  

Thank you for the links, I’ll try that out. It will be helpful to see where the data is leaking. I really appreciate that!
My frustration in wanting out of my contract isn’t entirely inspired by the craziness of how my data is supposedly being used, but rather in that I feel like have have received nothing promised. Each time I’ve posted here I’m on my cell phone LTE network. That should say enough in itself! The WiFi is so slow and unreliable that I don’t even use it unless I absolutely have to. Thank goodness I have unlimited data with my phone plan through Verizon, I would be out of a job if I had to rely on the shoddy connection I’m over paying for. I’m a single working mom and don’t have time to call tech support all day when I need the connection to be working. It’s frustrating. I feel like I’m getting about one quarter of what the expectations were. So yes, I’m frustrated and want out. I can handle things not being exactly as planned but the internet through HughesNet has been so entirely subpar I’m dumbfounded by it. I really do want to point out though, that my experience with the technicians and employees of HughesNet has only been positive, in that they are professional and kind.
GabeU

@Gdge

Ah.  I understand.  But, if you'd like to try to toubleshoot the speed issue, you should, when you have time, of course, post about said speed issues in the Tech Support section.  You'll need to run a few speed tests at a specific site and in a specific way (you'll be told where and how), but once that's done and it shows that you, indeed, are having speed issues, the reps on here will get involved. 

I can certainly understand your frustration, though. 

Gabe, I can only imagine the headaches you deal with. The big problem is that the internet seriously never seems to load and when it does it’s slower than dial up the majority of the time. I feel I’m not getting anything I signed up for (I’m on my phone’s lte again typing this). I have a feeling the majority of customers feel the same way. I don’t like feeling like I’m being completely taken advantage of. And I’m in the middle of bedtime routines so I don’t have time to deal with tech support. The problem is that it feels like it’s NEVER working. Is it possible a tech can fix that?
GabeU

@Gdge

It all really depends on what's causing the issues.  Lately, HughesNet has been having some pretty low speeds, and absolutely abysmal speeds for those in northern CA.  Your issues may be because of this, but they may not, or at least not fully.  Even when my speeds sometimes drop to 400Kbps lately I'm still able to browse without much issue, which makes me wonder if there may be something else contributing to your pages barely even loading and/or taking forever to do so when they do.  

Unfortunately, at least through this avenue (the Community), the only way to go about finding out what's wrong is to troubleshoot.  It may be a connection issue or it could be abysmal speeds causing all of it, but without the troubleshooting it's hard to know.  

I definitely do understand that doing that troubleshooting can be difficult, especially when you don't have much time to be able to do so.  If you do end up doing so, though, when you start your new post in tech support, one thing that would help to see if there are any connection issues is your state codes.  So, if you do end up posting in tech support it would be a good idea to take a snapshot of the following page and post it in the new topic you start, but make sure that you edit out your SAN (at the top of the page), as that is your account number (it starts with DSS), and you should never post your account number.  Also, because the state codes are logged in the mode and are lost when it is unplugged, it would be a good idea to have the modem plugged in for at least a few hours before you take the snapshot of the page so that it shows if there are any connection issues.  I only say that as some people unplug their modems when they aren't using the net for a while, like overnight.    

The state code page is here...  http://192.168.0.1/limited.html#!/state_code/state_code_monitor

I wish I had better news for you, and I wish there was an easier way to go about discovering what the issue actually is.  And I don't blame you one bit for feeling the way you do.  I wouldn't be very happy either, and right now I'm not very happy about my own service, though it's not quite as bad as what you're dealing with.  Lately, I sometimes wish I never had upgraded to Gen5.  Gen4 may not have been as fast as Gen5 was in the beginning, but it's a lot faster than Gen5 is now.  Oh, and this isn't at all an attempt at a joke, but you always have the option of calling tech support, though I know how that often goes, unfortunately.  😞  

As for the headaches, it's not really that bad for me, as if it gets too much I can always take a break from the Community.  I'm just a customer trying to help other customers, so if it gets too much for me I can just walk away for a while, but I almost never do.  🙂  

Oh come on! Hughes net sucks and I’m on board if we could get something started. The very first month the 20 gps plan was great. Lasted the entire month. Now I have had to change my plan twice and have used 80 what ever the data acronym is plus 100 of the bonus plan since dec25,2017. Haven’t changed anything we do. So now I’m sure the customer service peeps will once again not be able to tell me where the **bleep** all my data is going and sale me something else. So smarty pants tell me where it’s going. I know right on my credit card cause now I have to get a business plan for watching Netflix. Hughes net blows and I’m sorry I have changed to them with a 24 month commitment. Leaders in Internet my big toe!!!

GabeU

@Jessica76945 wrote:

Oh come on! Hughes net sucks and I’m on board if we could get something started. The very first month the 20 gps plan was great. Lasted the entire month. Now I have had to change my plan twice and have used 80 what ever the data acronym is plus 100 of the bonus plan since dec25,2017. Haven’t changed anything we do. So now I’m sure the customer service peeps will once again not be able to tell me where the **bleep** all my data is going and sale me something else. So smarty pants tell me where it’s going. I know right on my credit card cause now I have to get a business plan for watching Netflix. Hughes net blows and I’m sorry I have changed to them with a 24 month commitment. Leaders in Internet my big toe!!!

During your first twenty days of service your data is refilled constantly.  HughesNet does this as a courtesy to allow customers to update/upgrade their devices to current without it affecting their normal monthly data allotment.  This relaxed bandwidth state is described in the Welcome email from HughesNet.  Because of this, your 20GB only needed to last ten or eleven days during that first month.  The next month it needed to last the entire month.  

If you would like help in determining where your data is going please post in the tech support section, though I suspect, from your description, the majority of it is being used by streaming Netflix.  Streaming in SD uses about 700MB to 750MB per hour.  HD about 3GB per hour.  Keep that in mind.  

With that said, this is a customer to customer solutions forum, meaning that it's more than likely that other customers, like myself, are going to be the ones to help you.  It's not a great idea to insult the people who will be helping you, so please refrain from doing so in the future.  Have a little respect.  

WHY IS DATA REFRESHED DURING THE FIRST 20 DAYS OF SERVICE??  THIS MIGHT BE IN THE SMALL PRINT BUT IS NOT COMMUNICATED WHEN BUYING.

WE WOULD PREFER OUR DATA NOT BEING REFRESHED DURING THE FIRST 20 DAYS OF SERVICE...THIS WOULD ALLOW US TO SEE OUR DATA IS BEING USED UP WITHIN 48 HOURS AND WE COULD CANCEL AND FIND ANOTHER PROVIDED.

THIS SEEMS DECEPTIVE TO ME

GabeU

@gettingout wrote:

WHY IS DATA REFRESHED DURING THE FIRST 20 DAYS OF SERVICE??  THIS MIGHT BE IN THE SMALL PRINT BUT IS NOT COMMUNICATED WHEN BUYING.

WE WOULD PREFER OUR DATA NOT BEING REFRESHED DURING THE FIRST 20 DAYS OF SERVICE...THIS WOULD ALLOW US TO SEE OUR DATA IS BEING USED UP WITHIN 48 HOURS AND WE COULD CANCEL AND FIND ANOTHER PROVIDED.

THIS SEEMS DECEPTIVE TO ME

HughesNet does this as a courtesy.  They do this to allow people to update/upgrade their devices to current without it affecting what would be one's normal monthly data allotment. The relaxed bandwidth period is explained in the Welcome email from HughesNet.    

There's no deception as there's no trial period.  You are in a contract from the moment of activation. 

yup first month 20gb was fine (it is just me and only fm, email and streaming) 2nd month 20gb last until 3rd week so I jumped to 30gb.....3rd month that only last 6 days.....hughes claims "data vampires"......I have not changed my behavior and my last internet provider (Comcast) said my usage was about 20gb or less per month so **bleep**

GabeU

@animalfreak9803

Instead of dropping complaints on various threads it would be more beneficial for you to start your own topic so you can troubleshoot your data usage issue and remedy it. 

This is what you should have done a month ago.