Hughesnet Community

Gen 5 Speed

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Iggy913

Gen 5 Speed

I upgraded a few months back from DSL service through my local phone company due to its speed of 2mb. I was excited to hear HughesNet state they were now capable of much higher speeds than the 2mb we were currently seeing. Plus the fact that we wouldn’t be dependent on a phone line which gave us multiple issues previously had us sold on HughesNet.
Shortly after our HughesNet service was installed it appeared I made a mistake. Our internet speed is certainly slower now, heavy data consuming pages take 30-45 seconds to load, YouTube videos play in the worst resolution format due to buffering, and I can’t get anything to stream to my TV at all. I also had HughesNet provide me with phone service which is also terrible. There is a decent delay between what’s said and what’s received on the other end. It reminds me of when my Father was in the Navy and would call us from overseas in the 90s.
What am I missing here, why do I not see the higher speeds HughesNet brags about?
2 REPLIES 2
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

@Iggy913

The delay is normal with satellite communications, you will see approximately 600ms in delay between you, and the other party on your voice service.

As far as buffering goes, make sure that you set your resolution to Auto-Detect, or, at most, 480p.  Alternatively, if you wish to watch videos in 720p or 1080p, you must disable the Video Data Saver option, as this throttles video stream connections to help save data.  You can read more on what the Video Data Saver is, and how to disable it here.

Another thing you will want to keep in mind is if you exhaust your data, your speeds will be decreased to approximately 1Mbps or slower.

As far as speeds and how fast websites load, because of latency, websites will feel sluggish to load, however, the data is transmitted at the highest speed possible at any given time.  If you wish to troubleshoot your speeds after taking the first few things into account, then please create a testmy.net account and perform 3-5 tests during different parts of the day. Then share the account results link with us here.

Tests from other sites like speedtest.net are not accepted due to the compression technologies and latency that are seen on satellite communications.

Most important points to remember during this test:
-do the tests while directly connected to the HughesNet modem with a LAN cable (NO third party Router or Wireless devices can be used)
-use the 25MB size download test file ONLY

-If testing upload instead of download, you must use a 4MB size upload test file
-space each test at least 5 minutes apart
-post your results URL here, it may look something like http://testmy.net/quickstats/C0RR0SIVE

For a more in depth guide on running the tests, please visit: http://customer.kb.hughesnet.com/Pages/7001.aspx

The Reps are on M-F from approximately 8AM to 5PM Eastern.

dacarrigan
Spectator

Gen5 speeds are still probably way below the National avergaes for up/down loading