Gen4 SmartBrowse

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Gen4 SmartBrowse

For those users than remain on Gen4, will SmartBrowse remain as an available feature considering that there is no longer a SmartBrowse indicator in the Status Meter display?

4 REPLIES 4
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Hmm, I still have SmartBrowsing displayed on my v6.6 meter, greyed out of course.

Maybe you traded that for a working Purchase Tokens page. 

Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

@BirdDog wrote:

Maybe you traded that for a working Purchase Tokens page. 

Perhaps Man LOL

Just curious really. Have plenty of data and tokens.

Still, one of the features of Gen5 is the increased available speed when in FAP. Common sense say that Gen4 rules apply to Gen4 and Gen4 has dismal speed under FAP. The saving grace under those conditions is/was the SmartBrowse feature.

One issue we have seen in the past was the confusion of there being so many different platforms and legacy plans to support.

I can see Hughes going to a 'one size fits all' feature set to limit the support problems.

Rather like Microsoft's approach to OS's.

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

@Gwalk900 wrote:
I can see Hughes going to a 'one size fits all' feature set to limit the support problems.

Rather like Microsoft's approach to OS's.

But then they'd have to basically give us Gen 4 folks the same FAP speed as Gen 5. Would be great but extremely surprised if they do that without switching to a Gen 5 plan.

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

To be honest... The Gen4 SmartBrowse, and Gen5 FAP are essentially the same thing...  I strangely, have never had my meter show SmartBrowse in any state what so ever, even though I have smartbrowse.  I suspect we wont see the term "SmartBrowsing" used for much longer since if a Gen4 user wants a larger or smaller bucket they kind of have to upgrade to a Gen5 service plan.