More Data, Better Price! PLEASE!!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rmsimpson
Freshman

More Data, Better Price! PLEASE!!

When is Hughesnet going to offer much more date at a much better price? These plans are insane and I'm ready to jump when I can find a more economical "off grid" provider!!

8 REPLIES 8
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@rmsimpson wrote:

When is Hughesnet going to offer much more date at a much better price? These plans are insane and I'm ready to jump when I can find a more economical "off grid" provider!!

1.  When there's some sort of technological breakthrough that allows much higher throughput for the satellite(s).

2.  When the satellites can be made much more cheaply.

3.  When it becomes less expensive to both provide and maintain the service.  

Both the high speed data restrictions and the higher comparative costs are unfortunate realities with geostationary satellite internet.

rmsimpson
Freshman

I was told by a Hughesnet customer service rep. to expect a much better deal by first of this year. Is this true? Are we to expect better pricing or more of the same?

maratsade

I doubt it, as it's not getting any cheaper to run and maintain.  There are plans for a new satellite launch in '22 (originally in '21, but the pandemic got in the way).  That may bring slightly higher data caps, but satellite internet is limited and will always be far more limited than Earth-based options. 

You may want to contact your local  and state government and ask that they provide incentives to Earth-based companies so they can will be interested in bringing faster internet to your area. Currently those companies have zero interest in rural areas. 

rmsimpson wrote:

I was told by a Hughesnet customer service rep. to expect a much better deal by first of this year. Is this true? Are we to expect better pricing or more of the same?

I was told that 11 years ago when I first got Hughes Net.  

The only reason I still have it is because there is not another provider for this rural area.  

They screw you for as long as they can.  Never got any better on speed or pricing.  The speed is there, they just throttle you down so you will buy a more expensive package.  It is a ripoff and they continue to get by with it.  I can't wait until I move to an area where there is some competition, therefore competitive pricing.  Soon I hope.

maratsade

Shelia, you are speading misinformation and showing appalling levels of ignorance. This doesn't benefit anyone, including you.  Please educate yourself about the limitations of satellite internet.   Best of luck to you in finding a way to move out of your area. 

This is freedom of speech re. a specific topic which affects all of us.  So apparently tech support was lying to me or completely uninformed when they told me just 2 months ago they were expecting dramatic price decrease with dramatic data increase. Good for you Shelia and and re. "apalling levels of ignorance":  Perhaps the good "Distinguised Professor" should lessen his ignorance by getting HIS facts straight rather than brow beating a sincere customer.

maratsade

"This is freedom of speech "

No, it is not. The freedom of speech clause  prohibits the government from limiting your freedom of speech on government property or when you're speaking out against the government. It does not apply to private actors, such as corporations.  Facebook, Twitter, Instagram Microsoft, Apple, HughesNet, etc., can limit your speech as much as they want, the same way you can limit speech in your home. 

" So apparently tech support was lying to me or completely uninformed when they told me just 2 months ago they were expecting dramatic price decrease with dramatic data increase. "

Perhaps, and if so, HughesNet should do something about it.  Since you're the one bringing up this grievance, you will need to provide them with some evidence so they can investigate. The ball's in your court. 

GabeU

@Shelia219 wrote:

The speed is there, they just throttle you down so you will buy a more expensive package.  

The data package you choose is entirely up to you, as is whether you burn through that data before the end of the month.  And if your claim were true the service wouldn't top out at 50GB per month.  They don't offer unlimited high speed data packages because the system can't support them.

This is the HughesNet SUPPORT Community.  It's for people looking for SUPPORT.  If you simply want to rant, complain and spread lies, social media is that way.  >>>>>