Hughesnet Community

New plans - price way up - data allowance way down...help?!!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tryshz
Sophomore

New plans - price way up - data allowance way down...help?!!

We have had HughesNet for almost 2 years - was really tough to adjust to NOT having broadband, but we have been able to do pretty well.

I look now and see that the plans that "our area" qualifies for and am in shock! Right now we have Gen 4 Ultra - 50GB Data and 50GB Bonus bytes. Now it looks like there IS not equivalent - the highest amount of Data is 30GB and the price went from $89 to $129? Wow - this is bad.

I was never given the option of upgrading to Gen 5 - guessing that location matters - we are in rural North Carolina - and did not know there was a newer (and better??) modem that we could be using?  Really need some help here - living on a fixed income, this is rapidly pricing itself out of our possibility.  Can someone advise me?
I would say I would call but that has been a lesson in torture - obviously the 'help' people - english is not their first language - and frustration mounts pretty quickly when simple things are constantly misunderstood. So starting here, hoping for some good info!

Thanks!

Trish

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

Is there some reason that you can't stick with what you already have?  I'd advise that you do so.  Many people on the Ultra plan are doing the same.  

Gen5 was available for everyone in the lower 48 starting in March of 2017.   But, because beams are filling at varying rates, what's available in one area may be different than what's available in another area.  Basically, what you see available for your area is what you can get, and because of that I would stick with what you have. 

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
GabeU

Is there some reason that you can't stick with what you already have?  I'd advise that you do so.  Many people on the Ultra plan are doing the same.  

Gen5 was available for everyone in the lower 48 starting in March of 2017.   But, because beams are filling at varying rates, what's available in one area may be different than what's available in another area.  Basically, what you see available for your area is what you can get, and because of that I would stick with what you have. 

Well, I surely hope I can do so......that would be ideal - and somehow had the idea I had to change plans - but if I don't I  sure will stay with what I have!!!

GabeU

@tryshz

Good choice.  To be honest, the only real advantage that you might have with Gen5 is faster speed, but that's only a might, and to what degree is hard to say, or even if you would see it.  Gen5 also has the new modem with the built in WiFi, but you can also do the same thing with a 3rd party router.  And, with what you would lose, both data and price wise, it definitely isn't worth it.  That's just my opinion, of course.    

The only reason I ended up going to Gen5, from Gen4, was due to them offering a plan that had 5GB more data, but for a bit less per month due to the offer at the time.  My bill's about the same, now.  My Gen4 service itself was great.  My folks, who are right across the street from me, still have Gen4, and they have no plans, or reason, to upgrade, either.  If I had originally gotten the Gen4 Ultra plan, I'd almost assuredly still have it.  

I know of one other person on here who has the Gen4 Ultra plan, and they're a long time Community member.  They have no plans on upgrading, either, so you're in good company.  🙂    

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

@GabeU wrote:

@tryshz

Good choice.  To be honest, the only real advantage that you might have with Gen5 is faster speed, but that's only a might, and to what degree is hard to say, or even if you would see it.  Gen5 also has the new modem with the built in WiFi, but you can also do the same thing with a 3rd party router.  And, with what you would lose, both data and price wise, it definitely isn't worth it.  That's just my opinion, of course.    

The only reason I ended up going to Gen5, from Gen4, was due to them offering a plan that had 5GB more data, but for a bit less per month due to the offer at the time.  My bill's about the same, now.  My Gen4 service itself was great.  My folks, who are right across the street from me, still have Gen4, and they have no plans, or reason, to upgrade, either.  If I had originally gotten the Gen4 Ultra plan, I'd almost assuredly still have it.  

I know of one other person on here who has the Gen4 Ultra plan, and they're a long time Community member.  They have no plans on upgrading, either, so you're in good company.  🙂    

Yes, myself and many others on Gen 4 Ultra plan are just fine staying put especially at $90/month. We were lucky to get it when offered way back when and offer didn't last long. Personally speed is fine for two users, wife and myself, sometimes 30+ mbps and still fine right now going into prime time.

EDIT: The newer modem isn't better IMO unless you're looking for a free WiFi router and don't already have your own router.

9XezdJG68

GabeU

@BirdDog

My last comment must have caused your internet ears to start ringing.  😛  

Thanks for the info on the new modem. The one we have is just fine - and we did get the nightshift router and their lovely way to record all things Netflix - so we are good - and you just confirmed that. Thanks! Oh, and the last time I checked our speed we were getting 29mbps - so not complaining at all!!

GabeU

@tryshz wrote:

Oh, and the last time I checked our speed we were getting 29mbps - so not complaining at all!!

Very nice.  That's a great speed.  That's higher than the advertised Gen5 speed, and probably higher than what the average Gen5 customer actually gets.  Again, very nice.  🙂