Question about future Gen5 service...

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Question about future Gen5 service...

Since Gen5 will be offered on Jupiter One with HT1100 modems, will those that are already on the HT1100, when upgrading to Gen5 on that terminal, be locked into a new 2-year contract?  Typically contracts are only issued with new equipment installs, but since Hughes wont have to throw new equipment up for those customers, and it's more or less a plan upgrade... One would assume those users wouldn't get locked into the 2-year contract.

13 REPLIES 13
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Truly a question worthy of an answer.

Then there are those on Gen4 Ultra plans that may not wish to upgrade. Will those plans be 'grandfathered' as in the past?

Will those plans be relegated to the Penalty Box where performance is so bad that users are forced to a ES17 Gen5 plan?

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

@Gwalk900 wrote:

Will those plans be relegated to the Penalty Box where performance is so bad that users are forced to a ES17 Gen5 plan?

Pretty sure I would be history if it came to that unless free upgrade and no contract. Even then not sure I'd go for it with the increase in monthly cost. But to be forced into it in any way would most likely convince me to terminate my long relationship wth HugheNet. 

This is along the lines of a question I asked awhile back whether Gen 5 plans would get priority over Gen 4 plans on the J1 satellite and gateways.

This is pretty much how I feel with my system right now...  feel as tho I am being put in situation to have to upgrade and pay for the new equipment.  My HN9000 system has been sluggish and have to restart modem multiple times an hour just to continue browsing!   My daily limit is low, but I have gotten used to it and not sure how I'd react to a monthly limit... if I use all my data I know the next day I will have more data to use internet,  but if the Gen5 plan speeds after exceeding monthly limit is what they say it shouldn't be bad I guess.... but then there's the Free Zone limits with Gen5   coming from unlimited!!  Monthly costs for the Gen5 plan I'd get  is the same as im paying now (less for 12 months)  unless it's higher for current customers who upgrade..  

Being a customer since 2008 should be able to get a free upgrade and not have to pay full price for equipment .... I've supported them a lot in 9 years!

wildcats, to be fair the situation with the Spaceway satellite is a bit different. It is getting a "bit long in the tooth" and may not have much time left especially at peak performance which I doubt it even has now. The older Jupiter 1 satellite should have about 10 more years left and the new Jupiter 2 should have at least 15 years.

I would hope also in your situation you would get some kind of better deal. They really should treat existing customers who have stuck with them well past the contract period differently than new customers with zero track record IMO. It is just good business to build customer loyality.

Liz

Hi C0RR0SIVE,

Thanks for posting, this is a very good and valid question. I discussed this with Katie this morning and she will send your inquiry up to the higher-ups. Once I have any news to share I'll post back.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

OK, this is in upper management's hands right now, we'll see what they have to say. I'll keep you posted.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Hi Liz , 

Did you ever get this information from hughesnet?  I like the idea of upgrading, but really don't want to get in a 2 year contract, especially since we are retired, have been HN customers for over 10 years, and may be moving in the near future.  I would love to have more data at a lower cost!  

Thanks,

Kathy

Upgrading to Gen5 requires a new 2 year contract.  I'm not sure if any of the reps would give an exception on contract on not.  You would have to Personal Message one of them or wait till they see this and message you. 

IMO, it's kinda stupid if an HT1100 user upgrades to Gen5 and gets stuck in a contract if they end up staying on the HT1100... Contracts have always been to recover costs associated with adding a customer.

It's about like saying, "Hey, if you want a plan with SmartBrowse, lets throw ya into a renewed contract!" since that was when they had major plan changes.  All Gen5 will be here soon is a plan change for Jupiter One users.

Hi Kathy, 

Thanks for posting, I did get your PM and replied to it so please check it out.

Lori
Employee

Good afternoon, 

Please call Customer Care 866-347-3292 to find out what upgrade plans are currently available in your area.

Thank you! 

Lori 

Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Lori, Thank You for the reply.

In response, I feel compelled to say that I am very reluctant to call Customer Care. If you view the posts here in the Community of late you will see numerous comments of users getting conflicting or incorrect information from phone support.

At the root of my comment above:

"Will those plans be relegated to the Penalty Box where performance is so bad that users are forced to a ES17 Gen5 plan?"

My quoted comment could best be translated as ..... "are you going to throw us under the bus?"

A number of years ago I was a HN7000s subscriber. The system while very limited by today's standards did fit my needs. While I understand that systems change and time marches on Hughes did in fact 'grandfather' those plans but with one very important difference. They closed many transponders and consolidated users on the remaining ones.

In my case there was such as drop in signal strength that my service would have been unusable for much of the winter months. Believe, I know the systems and I was bearly above cut-off.

I felt 'tossed under the bus' at that time. It was only through the involvement of the highest levels of the Community that my upgrade was done in a manner that worked for me.

I rather feel another 'under the bus' episode coming at some point.

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

To add to what Gwalk said, it isn't like the 7000s situation. Those were leased satellite channels on birds that were already old in many cases and very low bandwidth compared to J1 and J2. HughesNet has total control over the bandwidth Gen 4 and Gen 5 each receive on J1. Sure hoping nothing in the works to slowly choke off the amount Gen 4 receives on J1. Calling the number certainly doesn't address that concern for those not wanting to make the move to Gen 5 right now.