Hughesnet Community

Unhappy customer with TERRIBLY SLOW SPEED

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RTL

Unhappy customer with TERRIBLY SLOW SPEED

Sorry to be yet another customer complaining about the quickly used data allotment and subsequent TERRIBLY SLOW SPEED.  For us, data is used in about 3 to 4 days of our billing cycle. So that's about 10% of a given month at acceptable speed and 90% with TERRIBLY SLOW SPEED.  It's torturous. I know what you are thinking. Just direct this customer to the data usage advise given to everyone else. I've read it. I understand it. We have tried it. We've also tried unplugging and turning off all household devices when not used, yet our data consumption is hardly affected. None of it is really feasible or practical. Especially considering an engineer, a teacher, and highschool kids in the home who all rely heavily on internet service. There seems to be no other option for us living this far out in the country, and I'd like to think your company isn't taking advantage of that by offering tokens to purchase. I'm begging for better service. When our data resets life works great for a few days. What can you do for your customers to extend this period of high speed service?  How about a plan that provides high speed without a data limit?  I'd be willing to bet your revenues would explode. Another added benefit would be far fewer customers complaining and negative reviews. I think your customer service is fine. Everyone I've encountered is very helpful to the extent they can help. It's your product that needs real improvement. 

11 REPLIES 11
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@RTL

The data limits are in place due to having a finite throughput that is much less than that of ground based services.  The system can't support unlimited plans.  To use an analogy, HughesNet is a two lane country road, while ground based services are 20 lane highways.  Offering unlimited plans would be like trying to drive 50,000 cars per hour down a road that can handle no more than 5,000.  It would cause a digital traffic jam.  And the reason for that would be streaming, as that is the number one thing people would do if they had unlimited plans.  It could get to a point that Google's home page would time out before opening, and that's one of the most basic pages there is.  

IOW, unlimited plans can't be supported, and HughesNet isn't going to offer what they can't support.  They only offer what they can.    

Tokens, which will give you more data, don't affect the system like unlimited plans would because the number of people that buy them and use them at any given time is relatively small, not putting much of a dent in the available throughput.  

Because you have apparently read the posts concerning data and don't want any further advice, I'll refrain from anything further.  

Good luck.  

FritzMaster
New Poster

AMEN to that!  Great post!  I gave up a constant speed of 10Mbps with Century Link for this kind of crap. I have only had HughesNet for a little over a month, but without a doubt this was a mistake I regret every day I use it. I run out of my allowed usage within the first week. Never was told this was the way they do business. Never knew about the data limit and was told by the sales rep I could stream movies at my service level. It was either a lie or the rep knows nothing about streaming movies. Now they tell me I have to buy more tokens????...or wait a few more days to get my 'promised' full allotment of 25 Mbps restored. How the heck do they get away with this type of misrepresentation in promoting their service?

Liz

Good morning RTL,

Welcome to the community! I can understand how frustrating it can be when something unknown is using up all your data. In case you might have missed this thread, this is the one that shows you how you can start your unidentified data usage investigation.

Good luck!

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

Robp1
Junior

Hugh’s sales representatives need to be held accountable for lowing to make a sale. We were told we would have speeds between one and 3mbps after our cap. When I called in the reps said that they had miss informed me during the sale. So why are customers being locked into a binding contract if Higgs sold them false info to obtain the sale? It is my understanding that these sales calls are recorded so why can’t the verify that The consumers were lied to about gen5 and then forced to stay unless they pay a rediculas ETF? I hope you can get some awnsers to your issues as well.
GabeU

@Robp1

If you need help, please start a new topic in the appropriate section.  

Sorry I am new to this.
GabeU

@Robp1 wrote:
Sorry I am new to this.

No problem.  If it's been less than 90 days since your sales call you can request a review of it in the "myAccount and Billing" section, which you can do here.  If it's determined that you were misled during that call you may have recourse regarding the Early Termination Fee when cancelling.  

The thing is we love the service speeds. The people at support have been amazing at working out the issues with the setup. It has been over 90 days so I know I’m stuck with the service. I do however feel like the reps should be very clear when selling the product. The service is still better that what we had before, I just don’t understand why it’s not connecting between 1 and 3 megs? The people at tech determined there is a problem with the radio speed transmission, but the phone service cuts out and disconnects before we can get a resolution.
GabeU

@Robp1

I'm not really sure what they mean by your radio speed transmission, but the most likely cause of you not being able to attain 1-3Mbps speeds while subject to FAP is beam/gateway load.  Your beam, or gateway, may be highly loaded with customers, which can cause the speed to be lower than what it might be otherwise.  

I've never been in FAP, myself, so I can't say what my speeds are while in that state, but I know from others that it varies considerably.  Some people get decent enough speeds to still be able to stream in lower definitions, while others see speeds that are below 1Mbps.  It all just depends on their beam and/or gateway.  

Though I doubt it would make much of a difference, but you might see slightly higher speeds with a device that's directly connected with a LAN cable vs a WiFi connected device, but again, the difference will probably be minimal, at best.  

One other thing you can try, and you may have better luck with, is power cycling your HughesNet modem.  It may end up putting you on an outroute that is more lightly loaded.   It's dynamic, meaning that if it does improve it will only be temporary, but it may help a little in the short term.  To do so, unplug your modem at the wall outlet or the power brick (NOT at the back of the modem), wait for at least 30 seconds, then plug the modem back in.  Then wait about five minutes for the modem to be fully back up and see if your speed has improved a little.  This is one of the tricks that can sometimes help to improve the speed a little. 

Thank you for the information. I will give that a shot in the morning. My only real beef with Hughs was the sales team. I know that the tech people have been trying to sort the mess out.
Liz

Hi RTL, 

It's been a while since we last heard from you, so we will close this thread. If you still have concerns, please start a new thread and include a detailed explanation so we can better assist you.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!