Who's NOT upgrading to Gen5?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rmvelin
Freshman

Who's NOT upgrading to Gen5?

So I've been waiting all this time for the new satellite to be up and running and now I'm reluctant to upgrade.

1)When I first started with HughesNet I was told I could stream Netflix with the plan I signed up for.  That was not true and I ended up cancelling my Netflix account.  I am reluctant to even contact customer service about the upgrade, as I don't know if I'll be getting accurate information.

2)I'm close to the end of my contract and after being stuck with this for so long I don't want to be locked in again.  Is a new contract being forced on people who upgrade?

3)I see from other posts that it's great now, but is it going to get bogged down as more people switch over?  My current connection gets so slow in the evenings that it's barely useable.  If it's going to end up being the same then why switch?

I'd appreciate any input on these issues!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

1: Everyone I have spoken to that is on Gen5 can stream Netflix just fine, even while in FAP if they use SD.

2: Yes, upgrades to Gen5 will result in you being locked into a new 2 year contract.  This is normal with any form of equipment upgrade.

3: Chances of the system becoming congested with in the next few years (those signing up now should be out of contract before congestion becomes any concern) is slim to none, though occasional gateway expansions will probably occur as customers come on board (why build the entire facility at the start when it's not being used?).  In 5-6 years, it's possible, but hopefully by then Hughes will have another satellite in the air to stave off inevitable congestion of the system.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10