cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hooterville
Senior

5-GHz not working

Hello,

I have noticed that most of the time, none of my devices (smartphone, TV, laptop) recognize that the 5-GHz exists, and when I can get a device to notice it, it doesn't work.  Is there a problem with the modem?  I have restarted the modem and the devices many times.  That doesn't seem to help.   It worked when I first got the modem.

Mary S.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@hooterville 

Another thing that might help is to turn off all of the devices connected to the modem.   I don't know what your TV is like, but if you can have it forget the prior connection, that would be a plus, then turn it off too.  Then unplug the modem, wait at least a minute, then plug it back in.  Then, after at least five minutes, which gives the modem a chance to be fully back up and ready, try to connect your TV to it.  After that turn your other devices back on, or at least the ones you want on, anyway.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
GabeU

@hooterville 

The 5GHz band is more temperamental as its range is considerably less than that of the 2.4GHz band.  Also, a device has to be able to connect to the 5GHz band, and not all can.  Just about all can connect to the 2.4GHz band, however.  

If a portable device and you know for sure it can utilize the 5GHz band, I would try moving it closer to the modem to see if that helps.  If it does, it's definitely a range issue.  

The HughesNet mobile app also has a signal tester, though I can't remember where it is in the app.  You can use it to test the signal strength, but make sure the device you have the app installed on is connected to the same band you want to test for in the area that you're testing.  i.e. if you're testing whether the 5GHz signal is good at your TV's location, make sure the device is connected via the 5GHz band and at the location of the TV before running the test.  

Hope this helps.  🙂

Thank you GabeU.

I will get the app and try that.   The 5GHz shows up as a choice on my tv and phone and it used to work, but now it loses the connection and when I put the password back in it says it can't connect.  The TV is only about 5 feet from the modem, so distance shouldn't be an issue.  

Mary

GabeU

@hooterville 

Another thing that might help is to turn off all of the devices connected to the modem.   I don't know what your TV is like, but if you can have it forget the prior connection, that would be a plus, then turn it off too.  Then unplug the modem, wait at least a minute, then plug it back in.  Then, after at least five minutes, which gives the modem a chance to be fully back up and ready, try to connect your TV to it.  After that turn your other devices back on, or at least the ones you want on, anyway.

Hi GabeU,

I downloaded the app and checked the signal strength.  It says that it is excellent.  I checked it several times.  Well, miraculously this morning, my TV did connect.  I also checked the signal strength in another room where my laptop is and it is excellent.  The laptop will not connect with the 5GHz.  It has in the past, but does not now.

I have found in the past that if the TV does not connect to the WiFi that it helps to do what you had sugeested.  I have turned it off and reset the modem.  That had always worked before but lately it hasn't worked until this morning.

Thank you for your help.

Mary

GabeU

@hooterville 

I'm glad that the TV is now reconnected.  With regard to the laptop, a couple of other things that might help are checking to see if there are any newer drivers available for the WiFi adapter from the laptop manufacturer's website.  One other one might be running troubleshooting on the adapter.  I'm on my Mac right now, but I think it's at Start button > Settings > Network & Internet > Status, and then open the Network and Internet settings.  There should be something there that says troubleshooting or troubleshooter.  If you click on that and run it, it may fix whatever's blocking the laptop from being able to utilize the 5GHz band.  

With other devices being able to connect to the 5GHz WiFi, it's unlikely that the problem lies in the modem, but rather in the device(s) itself, though I've learned to never say never, as anything's possible, and I've seen things occur with the internet and the devices that use it that I never thought were possible.

Hopefully others may have some ideas of things to try as well.