cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Geoffrey Leach
Sophomore

Amazon gives up

Problem: Connecting (only) to Amazon, (any) page hangs attempting to
download (apparently) an image from images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com.

Download succeeds for a dozen or so jpegs, then it hangs. Problem appears to be independent of browser (chrome, firefox) and OS (Linux Fedora 32 and Windows 7).. Sky is clear, view unobstructed. Connection to Huhges modem is hard-wire through Netgear R7000 modem.

Problem first noticed June 11.

I realize that round-trip times can very significantly, but this is unusual, as it happens only with amazon.com. Are thre any user-accessible facilities that might assist in diagnosing the problem?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

It could be that the DNS corruption already propagated to whatever you're trying to reach Amazon on. the recommended procedure would then be to:
1. Turn off all devices that are using the internet via the modem in question.

2. Remove power from the modem.

3. Wait 60 seconds, then apply power to the modem again.

4. Wait 5 minutes until the modem is fully activated with all lights on and turn on the devices you turned off in step 1, one by one.

This will ensure that every device's cached DNS starts from scratch and can't be re-propagated.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
MarkJFine
Professor

Cached DNS entry to images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com may be corrupted. Try rebooting the modem and see if it fixes it.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

Good idea, but alas, no joy.

FWIW, the home page does come up properly. It's the login page (and subsequent) that has the problem

maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

Does it work if you go through a proxy?

I don't have a proxy. Any suggestions?

maratsade

Try a free one like https://hide.me/en/proxy

GabeU

@Geoffrey Leach 

It's just a possibility, but if you have any extensions added to your browser, try turning them off and then see what happens with the webpage.  If it helps, then turn them back on one by one, again trying the page after each one, to see which one is the culprit. 

No joy. Alas! But thanks.

maratsade

Phooey.

@Geoffrey Leach wrote:

No joy. Alas! But thanks.

It could be that the DNS corruption already propagated to whatever you're trying to reach Amazon on. the recommended procedure would then be to:
1. Turn off all devices that are using the internet via the modem in question.

2. Remove power from the modem.

3. Wait 60 seconds, then apply power to the modem again.

4. Wait 5 minutes until the modem is fully activated with all lights on and turn on the devices you turned off in step 1, one by one.

This will ensure that every device's cached DNS starts from scratch and can't be re-propagated.

Whopee! My most heartfelt thanks.