Hughesnet Community

AOL is blocking E-mail from Hughesnet addresses -

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Terry3199

AOL is blocking E-mail from Hughesnet addresses -

There used to be a section in support where we could just list the e-mail addresses that we were blocked from sending to, but I cannot find it.  Going to customer support, no one seems to know what I am talking about.  I am currently blocked by AOL - is anyone else experiencing this?  Where do I list this so the block which AOL has placed against Hughesnet can be removed?  And NO, I am not interested in spoofing my  modem so AOL will not know I am with Hughes!  I don't want to SNEAK in, I want the block removed!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Amanda

Hello All,

I've received an update. Our e-mail support team was able to send an email to a test AOL account using a hughes.net e-mail account. They reported there was no issues sending to AOL. The header that was provided to us by Terry indicates there was an individual block placed on that e-mail address. If the person you are trying to e-mail to has accidentally filtered you as spam, or their mailbox has filtered you as spam, they will need to place you on their safe senders list. This is especially true if you are sending daily e-mails that may cause the other person's inbox to inadvertently mark you as spam.

Please check with these users from AOL to make sure that you are on their safe senders list and re-try the messages again. If you still experience issues after this, please let us know.

Thank you.
Amanda

View solution in original post

31 REPLIES 31
Amanda

Hi Terry,

We'd like to get to the bottom of this. When you say you are blocked by AOL, there are numerous circumstances that could arise. Are you unable to send to an e-mail address hosted by AOL? Are you using an AOL e-mail address and having trouble sending or receiving? If you are unable to send or receive from an AOL hosted address, are you using a HughesNet provided e-mail or a 3rd party one? Please let us know so we can assist you better.

Thank you,
Amanda
Sally Thomas

I am having the same issue. I have one friend who uses AOL for her business email and I am not able to send her an email from Hughesnet email.  I thought it was a problem with my friend's email address, however that is not the case as she has assured me. Hughesnet has been known to block certain domains in the past, so I should have known it was happening in this case as well.  I get a huge email with cutesy ads and other crap from Hughesnet including this message:

There was an issue delivering your XXXXXXXX message to  envelope icon User name of email address not valid
Get It Delivered!
Step one Check the XXXXXX part of XXXXXXX for misspellings or missing letters. If you find an error, correct it in your contacts list or address book for next time.
Step two If the address looks correct, there might be an issue with the recipient's domain. If necessary, contact your recipient another way (e.g., phone or text message) to confirm their email address. Or contact your mailbox provider for help.

So, I am also reporting censorship/blocking of domains by Hughesnet. Nothing new, getting old.
Sally Thomas

I just had another email to an AOL address blocked, so I contacted hughesnet support and chatted with Summer Hendrix who told me to do this:
Summer Hendrix: Once your on the www.systemcontrolcenter.com site, Click the I icon to launch the Advanced pages. On the left menu, click the Web Acceleration link. Click the Control link.Check (to disable) or uncheck (to enable) the box beside Disable Web Acceleration and then click the Submit button.

I don't know if that will do the trick, but will test it and let you know on this forum.
Terry3199

My  E-mails to two different AOL addresses are being blocked by AOL.  This happens when an E-mail provider gets a ton of SPAM from some specific domain, and they block all E-mail from that domain.  It can only be resolved when Hughes contacts AOL and works out the reason for, and the removal of, their block.  Meanwhile, I RECEIVE from AOL just fine, and I both send and receive from all other addresses fine.  This happens using Eudora or web-mail either one. 

Meanwhile, I use Hotmail for any mail I want to send to an AOL address, and it works fine.

I reported this to Hughes earlier, and their proposed 'solution' was to change some values in my modem - which I declined to do.  I don't need some stop-gap work-around that could cause other problems, I need Hughes to contact AOL and resolve this.

Amanda

Hi Terry and Sally,

Can you both e-mail us directly at communitysupport@hughes.com with a copy of the bounceback email header indicating the stoppage? We need this information to see where exactly the e-mails are being tied up.

I appreciate your involvement into getting this resolved, we have no qualms about getting this fixed for anyone affected.

Thanks,
Amanda
Sally Thomas

I have just sent mine. Two emails bounced back just now even after following Summer's instructions. No more tweaking MY system, it's a HUGHESNET problem.
Sally Thomas

Here is my case number:45746464
Terry3199

I sent mine also -

I have hit this before, with a smaller domain than AOL, and it took moving heaven and earth to get them to unblock messages from EarthLink (the service I was using at the time).  Everyone keeps saying have the mail recipient contact their web-service, since they are the ones doing the blocking - but that does NOT work.  Only when the SENDING domain contacts the RECEIVING domain can the block be removed.

Sally Thomas

I noticed this issue reported in the past and the "advice"/resolution was that it was AOL's fault and their users needed to contact AOL to resolve it. I have to wonder if that was true.
Amanda

Hi Sally & Terry,

We've received your e-mails and will be forwarding them to our e-mail team to investigate. We will update you on what we will need to do next.

Thank you,
Amanda
Sally Thomas

Thank you, Amanda. What is strange is that three days prior to today's blockage, my friend had sent me an alternate email address (her business AOL address) to use and that was the one blocked, Then today her home email address was blocked, so it was progressive issue for past 3 days. I have contacted her on Facebook to report the issue, as well as having my daughter in another state and using SBCglobal send emails to the AOL addresses to see if they get through or are also blocked.  This should be a fair test to see where the fault lies.
Terry3199

AOL was blocked for me a bout a week ago, and after a few days it opened up again.  Then this morning, it was blocked again.

Thank you, Amanda - I hope they can resolve this with AOL -

Sally Thomas

Another weird twist in this tale.....my friend (whom I am blocked from emailing by hughesnet) has website that contains her email link (the AOL one) and I was able to click the link and send her an email via the link (which is sent from my hughesnet email). I did this at 3:17 this afternoon and thus far the email has not been bounced back.  ?????? Why would this make a difference?
Terry3199

Sally, your issue is different than mine.  Your error message is different also.  Mine are being blocked by AOL, but your message seems to be saying the E-mail address is glitched.  Since you could use the link you found, that seems to say the same thing. 

Try this:

Click on that link, and when the e-mail opens COPY the address in the "to" line.

Now go to your address book, look your friend up, EDIT them, SELECT the E-mail address you have listed for them, then PASTE the address from the link in there.

Pawnee County

Hey All

Just talked to my brother yesterday he has AOL and hasn't received most of the email I sent him.  He did receive one out of many all it contained was a link that didn't work but worked for everyone else I sent it to.  I agree there is a problem somewhere between AOL and HughesNet. 

I used my gmail account to send them via Thunderbird SMTP so it almost has to be something  between Hughes and AOL.  I can't imagine what it could be but must have something to do with TCPIP handshake.

Gary
Sally Thomas

Terry, I already copied and pasted the correct email address for my friend. In fact, when she sent me an email FROM that address I "replied" with her email, and even that bounced back as "undeliverable". 
Terry3199

What it boils down to, is AOL has blacklisted Hughes for some reason - usually for excess SPAM, scams, or something like that.  Hughes has to talk to AOL in order for them to remove Hughes from the blacklist.

And yes, Gary, SOME of mine have gone through also.  I have a daily devotion I write and distribute to several people, one of which is an AOL address.  In the last ten days, two have gone through.
Sally Thomas

AOL is also blocking gmail accounts today. Go figure.
Terry3199

The first computer I bought to connect with the internet came with free AOL for several months.  When I had put up with their idiocy for about ten days, my wife BEGGED me to drop them and PAY FOR some other service so I would quit ranting and pounding the keyboard every time AOL insinuated itself between me and the internet.  It is an OK service for someone who knows NOTHING about computers or the internet, but they are a real pain for anyone else.

I had EarthLink for some years, but finally could not stand the snail pace of dial-up, so investigated Satellite services; Hughes FAR outshines all others in this.

Sally Thomas

Your experiences with AOL tell the story. It's a crappy "sevice". When I lived on a remote cattle ranch and only had dial-up, I wanted something faster, but I refused to even deal with an entity that felt the need to filll up my mailbox on a weekly basis with their silly CD....I did find a use for those.....target practice.  Yes, Hughesnet serves my current needs very well, and I do get testy when things don't go the way they should, but the alternatives are not even worth considering. I have no choice where I am....dial-up or satellite, and since I purchased the equipment in 2007 I could choose to dump them, but I don't feel like going through the hassles of trying out a new provider only to find they, too, have problems. The best I can do is come here and try to make others aware of my own issues with Hughesnet and how I was able/not able to resolve them.  It usually works out.  In this present issue wiith AOL and our emails....I really believe the issue is with AOL and they need to fix it....even if Hughesnet has to be the one to step in and alert them that they are being stupid.