Hughesnet Community

All lights on front of modem keep going out!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
coppcabin
Freshman

All lights on front of modem keep going out!

Over the past 10 months my modem keeps going offline on a daily basis whenever internet is in use.  The internet goes down and when I check the modem all the lights on the front are off.  I have to reset power each time to get the internet to come back up.  This is a major frusteration becuase it occurs at random, sometimes several times a day and other times it happens late at night, and some days it doesn't happen at all (although it's rare).  This modem is at a second home that is only used every other weekend or so, and the service only tends to go out when somebody is actually there using the internet.  The modem normally stays online when nobody is home.  I can tell because I have a remote weather station and security camera, both of which will go offline if the internet is down.

I have been working with tech support chat and just received a replacement modem and power supply, and the same exact thing is happening with the new equipment.  The new modem worked for about 3 hours today before the internet went down, and as always, when I checked it all the lights were out on the front.  I reset the power and everything came back up.  The service is not usable in this condition.  I really need a solution to this!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Liz-

Tech came out and was a helpful guy.  He did not opt to replace the modem since it's been swapped twice already.  He said he updated the software on my existing modem and he also found that the coupler that connects the indoor and outdoor coax runs between the modem and the satellite was lose.  He tightened the connection and asked that I let him know if I continue to have problems.  Due to it being winter, I'm at the property very little so it may be a while before I am able to confirm if I'm still having problems.  I will post back once I get a chance to use the service again.  Thanks!

-Kent

View solution in original post

22 REPLIES 22
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@coppcabin

What is the modem plugged into?  I ask this because you mentioned that you have to "reset the power."  What is it you do when you reset the power?  

By resetting the power, I mean that I simply unplug the power cord from the power source and plug it back in.  The satellite modem will not reset on it's own once all the lights on the front go out.  Strangely, the link lights on the back of the modem for the wired Ethernet ports continue to show activity even when all the lights on the front of the modem go out.  However, wired devices also don't work and can't access internet when the problem occurs.  It's almost as if the satellite modem is in stand-by with power applied but it's not booted up and running.

Hi coppcabin,

Thank you for the additional details, let me investigate further into this for you. I'll post back once I have any updates or additional questions.

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

Liz

Hi coppcabin,

I see it's your first post here, so welcome to the community! Thanks for reaching out, this sounds very peculiar. As Gabe previously stated, I'm curious as to what power source the HughesNet modem is connected. Are you connected to a UPS? A power strip? A wall outlet?

If you're not already connected to a wall outlet, please do so to see if you notice a difference. The diagnostics I've run on your site don't indicate anything out of the ordinary with the HughesNet system.

Your cooperation and patience are much appreciated. Looking forward to hearing back.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Hi, and thanks for the quick replies!  Power is plugged into a Tripplite Isobar surge protector.  I do have other network components in the surge protector and have no problems with the other devices.  However, in case the surge protector is faulty, I have also plugged the satellite modem directly into the wall outlet, but the same problem occurs. 

Liz

Hi coppcabin,

If you could please answer these questions as well, they can help our investigation:

Does the issue persist even when the modem is the only device plugged into that wall socket?

--A similar case from long ago involved a modem didn't like sharing a socket with a fridge, and more recently, an a/c unit.

Since you mentioned this system is in a second home, are there any devices or appliances that get powered on and used only when you're at that home?

Do you have a CB radio?

--Oddly enough, this has affected a customer's modem in the past.

The next time you lose connectivity please browse to your System Control Center (SCC) at 192.168.0.1 and click on System Status at the top of the page. 

Note the State Code, which is a series of 3 numbers separated by dots. 0.0.0 is the state code for a fully operational system.

If you can't access the SCC, let me know if you can access 192.168.42.1.

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated, looking forward to hearing back.

Liz-

I don't know for sure what else is on the circuit, but the only other devices plugged into the outlet are a small network switch and a wireless receiver for the internet connected weather station.  I will be at the home this weekend and will verify what else is on the circuit.  That said, there isn't anything that is turned on in the cabin when we are there that isn't normally turned on when we aren't there.  No, I don't have a CB radio.

When the lights go out on the modem and the internet goes down, I can't access anything with wireless devices since the wireless goes offline immediately at the same time.  As I mentioned in the above post, wired devices can't access internet either when the problem occurs.  However, I don't recall if I have tried accessing the modem management at 192.168.42.1 via a wired device or not, so I will try that the next time it goes down.

Since I will be there this weekend, please let me know if there's anything else I can check.  Thanks!

-Kent

Thanks Kent!

I have some troubleshooting steps to try when you get back to the cabin.

Try to use the internet until the connection drops. When this happens and the LEDs are off again, leave the modem alone. Give it 20 minutes to see if it will come back online on its own, so no rebooting. 

If the modem never comes back online, check the state code in the SCC; it's best to try on a PC/laptop hardwired directly to the modem, same goes for trying the 42.1 address.

Finally, please have just the modem plugged into the wall outlet to see if the issue persists. 

Let us know how it goes!

I wasn't able to make it to the cabin this past weekend as planned, so I will have to test the next time I'm there.  Please keep this thread open.  I'm not at the site very often but when I am this is a major frusteration.  I will post an update as soon as possible with responses to your quesitons.  Thanks!

All good, Kent, thanks for the update!

I was back at the cabin again, finally.  I moved the modem's power source directly to the wall outlet.  Later in the day it went offline like it always does (all lights are out on the front and internet went down).  I took my laptop and hardwired directly to the modem.  I didn't get an IP address via DHCP so I set a static IPs on my laptop for testing.  I could not ping or otherwise access 192.168.42.1 or 192.168.0.1.  However, I could still connect to other network devices that were connected to the back of the built-in 4-port switch on the modem.  So when the modem goes "offline" the built-in network switch still passes traffic between devices, but the modem itself is not accessible and internet is offline.  I waited nearly an hour to see if the modem came back online on it's own and it did not.  I unplugged the power and plugged it back in, and as normal the modem came back online.

If it's not the power source and I've replaced the modem and power supply, what else can be causing this???

Good morning Kent,

I appreciate the update, this is pretty unusual. I'd like to get one of our modem experts here at corporate to have a look at that modem. Instead of sending another modem out, I'd like to get a tech out there to review the site and switch the modems. I'll have the tech ship the modem to our engineer so you don't have to worry about doing it yourself. Considering you're not always at this site, I won't set a particular appointment date, but rather the assigned local dealer will reach out to you to make arrangements. Is the number ending in 02 the best number for them to call you?

Liz-

That sounds like a reasonable plan since I don't know what else to do.  Now that the weather is cold I'm only at the properly on occassion, but I can work out a schedule with a local dealer like you have suggested.  Best number to call is the one ending in 37.  That's my mobile.  Thank you!

Very interesting problem. I'm a retired industrial E/I computer systems trouble shooter. I've seen some very strange things happen.

Sometimes when troubleshooting, and you've done all of the smart things, it's time to try something stupid, like plugging the modem into a UPS.

I know, it makes no sense that an elecrical problem would only effect the modem when there are other devices plugged in that are not effected, but that's what I would try next.

ACCIDENT, n. An inevitable occurrence due to the action of immutable
natural laws.

The Devils Dictionary

Thank you for the input.  I will go ahead and try that as well.  I've tried with and without the Tripplite Isobar surge protector, but I haven't tried a UPS yet.  It certainly can't hurt!  Next time I go to the cabin I will take a small UPS with me.

Hi Kent,

Thanks for getting back to me! I've created a dispatch and the local dealer should reach out to you on your mobile. I've also included instructions to have your modem shipped to us for debugging. I hope the symptoms go away with the new modem. For your reference, your case number is 117903035. Let us know how the site visit goes!

Good morning Kent,

I see the dispatch has already been completed, did the tech replace your modem?

Liz-

Tech came out and was a helpful guy.  He did not opt to replace the modem since it's been swapped twice already.  He said he updated the software on my existing modem and he also found that the coupler that connects the indoor and outdoor coax runs between the modem and the satellite was lose.  He tightened the connection and asked that I let him know if I continue to have problems.  Due to it being winter, I'm at the property very little so it may be a while before I am able to confirm if I'm still having problems.  I will post back once I get a chance to use the service again.  Thanks!

-Kent

Thanks Kent. Hopefully there won't be any issues, but in case there's no change, I'll make sure to put an extra special flag on my tech instructions, because we'd want to get that modem for debugging.

Hi Kent,

It's been a while so I'm going to close this thread, but if you have anything new to bring up, please don't hesitate to start another thread.