Re: Best way to test latency?

I tired typed 'su' and it returned as 'unkown command."

Distinguished Professor I

Because su is not a Crosh command. 

Assistant Professor

what about 'sudo traceroute'

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

No, not a Crosh command. Here's a list of commands for Crosh

EDIT: while many Linux commands work,  including sudo, it doesn't work with tracepath.  And there's no tracert or traceroute command for Crosh that I know of.  It's just tracepath (EDIT 2: poor, wonky, maligned, possibly buggy, tracepath).

Assistant Professor

What about:

1. Exiting the Crosh shell first using 'exit',

2. Switching to a bash shell using 'shell',

3. Then doing 'sudo traceroute'. -> might want to try just 'traceroute' first.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

He should definitely try that. I'll test all this when I'm back at the firm and can get to the Chromebook. (Edit: though I thougth a bash shell is for running scripts....dunno, never used this on the Chromebook)

Assistant Professor

Nice page... bookmarked.

Incidentally, look at the ftp definition of 'hash'... crafty little buggers.

"Only functional in Amsterdam."  LOL

Freshman

An exit command in crosh literally closes it The browser window disappears, haha. I found guidance on the net that a shell command in crosh will take you to the root linux shell, so I tried that, but it returned 'unknown command.' I dunno,I give up for now. I will eventualy have a chance to bring a windows laptop to this location. I will have the chromebook at a place with cable internet service later next week, and I'll try pinging and tracepathing there, just to see what happens.

Good morning zenman,

It's been a while since we last heard from you, so we will close this thread. If you still have concerns, please start a new thread and include a detailed explanation so we can better assist you.

Thanks,

Liz

Please create a new thread in the community if you have a question or need help. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.