Blocking Specific Cellphone

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BJeanneWyrick
New Poster

Blocking Specific Cellphone

I am new to HughesNet and need to know if there is a way to block a specific cellphone from accessing my WiFi modem without changing the password for the modem. She uses all my data in 2 days! Help! Thanks!
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@BJeanneWyrick

You can block it via Mac Filtering in the WiFi settings of the Gen5 modem.  You can find the MAC address of the phone, while it's connected, in the Devices section of the Status box on the lower right of the WiFi Settings Home page.  

If you know how to get to the WiFi settings in the Gen5 modem, the MAC filtering table is in under Advanced Setup > Wireless > MAC Filtering Table.   To get to the WiFi settings, either click on the WiFi settings in the lower left of the System Control Center or go directly here.  Then use admin as the password to enter the WiFi settings.

To filter the phone's MAC address, first Enable MAC Filtering in the MAC Filtering Table, then click Save Settings at the bottom.  Then enter the MAC address of the phone and click Save Settings again.  The phone should then immediately disconnect from the internet.

I hope this helps.  🙂

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
GabeU

@BJeanneWyrick

You can block it via Mac Filtering in the WiFi settings of the Gen5 modem.  You can find the MAC address of the phone, while it's connected, in the Devices section of the Status box on the lower right of the WiFi Settings Home page.  

If you know how to get to the WiFi settings in the Gen5 modem, the MAC filtering table is in under Advanced Setup > Wireless > MAC Filtering Table.   To get to the WiFi settings, either click on the WiFi settings in the lower left of the System Control Center or go directly here.  Then use admin as the password to enter the WiFi settings.

To filter the phone's MAC address, first Enable MAC Filtering in the MAC Filtering Table, then click Save Settings at the bottom.  Then enter the MAC address of the phone and click Save Settings again.  The phone should then immediately disconnect from the internet.

I hope this helps.  🙂

Thank you so much!! I got the MAC address of the phone I wanted to deny access to while checking the connected devices. Hers was the unnamed iPhone. You’ve saved my data!
GabeU

@BJeanneWyrick

You're very welcome.  I'm glad I was able to help.  🙂

@BJeanneWyrick wrote:
Hers was the unnamed iPhone. You’ve saved my data!

I also learned to my sorrow what an iphone can do to your data.  I believe it's because the installed apps and OS are updated so often.  I've seen as much as two gigs disappear in a matter of hours.

I didn't think of macaddr filtering  as @GabeU  did though.  I changed the password and then had to update the password on all my other devices.  (what a pain)   I believe the updates can be turned of at the Iphone also. 

I don't do phones, I'm strictly a computer with 21 inch monitor type guy.

The time has come," the Walrus said,
"To talk of many things:
Of shoes--and ships--and sealing-wax--
Of cabbages--and kings--
And why the sea is boiling hot--
And whether pigs have wings."

Lewis Carroll

GabeU

@gaines_wright wrote: 
I also learned to my sorrow what an iphone can do to your data.

I've seen a number of people post here, and on the old Community, who have learned that lesson, unfortunately.  And with Satellite TV receivers, too.  Those can be awful, though I've seen it more with DirecTV's receivers than Dish's.  😞

@GabeU wrote:

@gaines_wright wrote: 
I also learned to my sorrow what an iphone can do to your data.

................  And with Satellite TV receivers, too.  Those can be awful, though I've seen it more with DirecTV's receivers than Dish's.  😞

You know, it would be nice if someone compiled a list of these data eating devices,  and posted it here. 

The Iphone is the only one I've had experience with.

But wait a bit,' the Oysters cried,
      Before we have our chat;
For some of us are out of breath,
      And all of us are fat!'
No hurry!' said the Carpenter.
      They thanked him much for that.

Lewis Carroll

My entire system is set up for MAC-allow only. If it doesn't know the MAC address, it ain't getting on.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
GabeU

@MarkJFine wrote:

My entire system is set up for MAC-allow only. If it doesn't know the MAC address, it ain't getting on.

I'm so far out in the boonies that I would probably notice someone's car, or just someone walking by with a phone, before they could ever get into my WiFi.  My neighbors would, too.  

With that said, other than when I use my laptop, or update my notebook or phone, which isn't very often, especially for the latter two, my WiFi is disabled.

It gets real interesting if a tech comes for any reason and he has to wifi in... and can't.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.