Upload Issue again

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dfbeck
Junior

Upload Issue again

It made it almost a full three months that I was able to stream videos at any resolution without buffering with only the intermittant issue that would last no more than 48 hours or so. But I knew it couldn't last. While download speeds average 16.7Mbps upload speeds drop to an average of 3.3Mbps which means uploads are virtually shutoff at times. Those averages were attained between 1:00 am and 7:00 am 11:00 am to 3:00pm any day of the week. This has lasted more than two weeks now just to make sure it was a real issue and not a whiny complaint generated by a transient glitch. Currently all videos launch in 144p or switch back to that within seconds of choosing 360 or 480 regardless of the time of day with the corresponding state code of 12.1.9 lasting from 30 seconds to 10 minutes occuring roughly every 15 to 30 minutes.

The modem is plugged directly into the wall, it's been rebooted with the router bypassed, and though there is zero chance it could be related another desktop computer was used (only because I'm always asked to try that).

I have not called the repair number since they have not yet been able to offer any fix and this is where they suggest I bring the issue in the hope that it might catch the eye of a moderator who can delve into the irritation with a better chance of success. The last one to deal with this posted it would be looked into and without another communique the issue was corrected, more than less, for the period I stated, nearly 90 days (76 to be exact). 

I'm on Gen4 having no reason to upgrade to Gen5 (even though technicians have advice me to do so) since I already have a router, 50 gigs of time, and no issue with download speeds beside the fact that it would cost me something like $40 more a month.

I'm open to suggestions.

It occured to me that I didn't present max speeds which I'm concerned might be a bit of wishful thinking. 69.1Mbps download and 86.8Mbps upload. (And who said this wasn't a gamers provider)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

GabeU,

Ok, finally got Testmy.net figured out except for one issue, combined testing with max data set. testmynet.PNG

You see the tabs to the right of 'optional'? Both will set the 'minimum' data size but  won't affect the maximum so it still tests anything it wants and of course, if it tests something reasonable the first time and runs quickly it will rerun with more data the next time so it is very important that I remember to click nfw. I'm following your instructions but unless I test upload and download separately I have no control over the maximum data used.

Hughes Level 4 called today (1/11/19) and when she had me run the upload test it was 33Kbps up and 21.3 down. Unplug the modem, bypass the router, long periods of silence and 'still buffering' for 25 minutes until it finally steamed without buffering but I haven't a clue what she did and I got the idea that she had a quota on either words or characters used, kink of like Twitter. I appreciated what ever she did but as she trying to get off the phone I asked if 2215 ms ping rate wasn't a touch long. She said she didn't know, 'bye'. I've never asked any tech about that before so I don't know if only certain techs are familiar with ping rates. I let it go and won't complain unless it becomes a consistant issue. What  is your average ping rate? I don't know if testmy.net arbitrarily picks Dallas to ping but that's what this is testing. I understand that a high ping rate will affect the loading of a page which is what I'm running into. Slow to connect, handshake, etc. but once loaded it streams with litte buffering now. She must have done something, 1.5 Mbps up - 25Mbps down. Just so it stays. Thanks for the info.

Oh, you're right, I wasn't able to see that your note about being out of data was addressed to someone else. I've yet to figure out this board.

View solution in original post

20 REPLIES 20
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

Curious: what are you using to measure your speeds?

*I am not a Hughesnet employee or representative. This is a customer-to-customer tech support community, and I am a customer.

GabeU

@dfbeck wrote:

While download speeds average 16.7Mbps upload speeds drop to an average of 3.3Mbps which means uploads are virtually shutoff at times.

I'm a little confused.  An upload speed of 3.3Mbps is better than what probably 99% of us get, and is higher than the advertised Gen5 up to speeds.  Gen4 is lower than that, I believe.  

A 12.1.9 State Code is indicative of an issue, no doubt, and your problem playing Youtube videos is also indicative of an issue of some type, but an upload speed of 3.3Mbps is fantastic.

To parrot maratsade's question, what are you using to measure your speed?  Is it still testmy.net?  If so, something's very "not right".   

GabeU Maratsade,

Darn decimal points, refuse to stay where they're planted.  It should be .33Mbps and it's actually become even slower at .22Mbps while some videos refuse to even start. Testing was performed with Testmy.net, Ookla, and Xfinity Speed Test. Yesterday, 12/21/18, page loading was about as bad as it gets. Even text only pages with no embedded video was painfully slow causing Testmy.net to  time out. I'm running a speed test 12/22/18 at 2:49 and the upload speeds at 2.2Mbps are faster than than the download speeds at .430Mbps but as is the case those slow download numbers are only occuring intermittantly. I was going to average the data from all three speed applications but since the speeds vary with such rapidity even a 30 second difference is enough to generate an inaccurate reading so I used just Testmy.net as the official test. Intel i5 with 8gigs mem on Win 7

If a packet sent from this desktop but not received at Hughes due to noise, a high error rate or whatever, is that packet sent again automatically? I've had videos that refused to load until I refreshed the page and some have timed out without my intervention. I don't know if that is simply a fluke, a coincidence in the timing of my call for the page to refresh or if the data being resent was the reason the page finally loaded.

maratsade

I think your decimal points have been doing some holiday partying already. LOL. 

Where did you get these speeds? "69.1Mbps download and 86.8Mbps upload."   The upload speed is especially suspect, so I wonder if you got it with Speedtest, Xfinity, or another one of those tests that are not recommended for testing the speed of a satellite connection, because they do not give reliable results (maybe due to the latency?).  

If you could post the URL to your Testmy.net account results page, that'd provide a wealth of data for people (especially HN engineers) to analyze, and it'd give them a more accurate picture of what may be going on.

The URL would look like this:  https://testmy.net/quickstats/[your username]

I hope the problems you're experiencing get solved quickly. Stinks to have all these issues. 

marasade,

Yah, those speeds are pretty crazy but they've appeared on Testmy.net and Ookla. It has to be some kind of fluke with the test programs. I'm going to run Testmy.net again tonight since it appears that from the constant buffering and videos starting at 144p and switching back and forth every 2 or 3 minutes the problem is getting worse. I had to drop Netflix and Hulu again. I just don't have the patients. I'll copy the results. I really dislike the thought of quitting on Hughes. When it works, it works great and is really quite dependable but every time an issue comes up like this it takes weeks to be corrected and I get the idea that the problem was more likely to have simply gone away on it's own rather than an actual repair. Windstream dsl is less than a mile away but I'll wait and see what happens this time.

maratsade GabeU,

I don't know how much of Testmy results are available from the url. I've never posted the url before, it's always been screen prints. I started this post about 3:30 and got distracted by an email that said it was from Hughes. It explained that my email had been hijacked and it was necessary for me to reenter user name and password along with payment info, especially payment info. I figured who ever sent it was looking for something to read so I send them 90,000 copies of Death Traps from Kindle using an anonymous emailer. I hate scammers and it wasn't all that quick to send those books with uploads at .33Mbps or less but it's worth it.

https://testmy.net/quickstats/Hangfire

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

@dfbeck, really should run manual 25MB file size for download tests and 6MB size for upload. You're burning through a lot of data using automatic file size and is not necessary as the manual tests provide accurate results.

Lol on what you did to the scammers. Good you realized they were only trying to get your info.

maratsade

"manual 25MB file size for download tests and 6MB size for upload."

I thought it was 12 down/3 up for Gen 4 and 25 down/4 up for Gen 5....

BirdDog

I forgot to change the data size but it's no big deal since I can't stream anything over 360p for more than a minute or two and usually it streams at 240 or 144p. I start out with 50 gigs and with 9 days left I still have 24gigs remaining. The buffering/crappy video is getting really old. I was hoping maybe a moderator might take note. I'll call customer service, unplug the modem and end up back here anyway.

Poor resolution makes it hard to scam the scammers. That was the first email scam I've had in a while but I've had the IRS that was going to come to my house and someone from Windows was going to disconnect my internet service unless I paid $199.99. My virtual machine has a directory listed 'Financial' and once those idiots connect thru Logmein they down load that directory which only has one file, MEMZ virus that executes as soon as they open it. The other choice is to blank their screen, kill their keyboard and syskey them. I have scammers. And crappy resolution. It's an absolutely flat line in Testmy from .33  to .26Mbps I've got to find someone to look at this. https://testmy.net/quickstats/Hangfire

GabeU

@dfbeck

Two things:

First, though you have plenty of data, the tests being the same size is important to the reps and/or engineers.  What causes issues can sometimes be seen in patterns in the speed test results, and when the tests are of varying sizes it can make it harder for the reps and/or engineers to detect those patterns.  Because of that, it's important that you use the Gen4 speed test sizes, which are 12MB for download and 3MB for upload.  I do realize that you simply forgot to change the test size, but it's important to do this from here on out.  Also, if you're running the tests using the test scheduler, make sure to check the "nfw" box so that the tests don't forward in size, though the 12MB download test may still do so (see below).  

Secondly, if you're seeing a lot of resizing when running the download test, you should change the test size you use from 12MB to 15MB.  The 12MB manual test will forward to a larger size if the test doesn't last for at least seven seconds, but the 15MB test does not do this.  So, again, if you often see the 12MB test forward to a larger size, please start using the 15MB test size instead.  

GabeU

Makes sense, consistant size that is. Beside that, this am I set Testmy to run just 5 times at hour intervals. When I got back Testmy had run for 11 hours and had eaten up 11.5 gigs. I wasn't really concerned about Anytime data before but now I'm a bit concerned. I still have 14.5 gigs and 7 that I purchased over a year ago before I understood how that worked. What I'm trying to figure out is why Testmy arbitrarily ran on it's own. And it's not the first time that has happened. Until I know I'm going to close the page when I'm thru with it. 

One other issue I noted today, something I never noticed as an issue before is latency. It was recorded at 1575 ms which is a problem unto itself. I'll watch it to see if it's a fluke or consitant. I pinged Hughesnet.com above 900 several times with random numbers under 600. 

I'm calling a tech tomorrow to see how fast this can get pushed up to the next level. This is becoming untenable. Thanks for the advice.

GabeU

@dfbeck

That latency is definitely high.  I could be caused by a number of things, including strain on the infrastructure of the system with so many people being online right now.  All those new gadgets to play with!  😛  That's only a possibility.  Hopefully, when you call, they'll be able to give you an idea.  

With regard to the auto testing continuing to run, I'm not sure what could have happened.  Perhaps there was some kind of glitch.  It should only have completed what you set up, and that's it.  It's always worked properly for me when I've used it, though I've only used auto testing a few times over the years.  On the occasions that I have used auto testing, I set it up to run every five minutes and a total of five times.  So, the tests are basically over after 20 minutes.  I then do this a few times a day, but again, only when I'm testing for troubleshooting purposes, as at other times I just test whenever.   

Good luck with the call tomorrow.  Merry Christmas!  🙂

GabeU,

I've had the same issue with Testmy.net before, continuing to test even after it's completed the number of tests called for and I don't have a clue. I'll just have to remeber to end the test and log out.

As far as calling, I waited until this morning and I just got off the phone. The tech said she ran tests and weather was affecting the signal from South Dakota which I'm going to believe since she had me run Testmy and the download speeds look like a saw with download .92 to 27.3 Mbps and upload .20 to .86 Mbps. Dl has never been great but good enough to stream without a problem for at least 3 months and the ul is no better and no worse. If it truly is weather it will be gone within an hour and I'll test it again. A coincidence?

I was the techical supervisor for a midwest cable company serving 190,000+ subs and I have heard every excuse given either by the phone bank or lazy feild techs. The best, or worse depending on how you look at it, was a customer with repeat reception problems who was ready to quit us and go with satellite since a tech told them the problem would be fixed as soon as the space shuttle was flying again. This was April, 1986. It was actually a staple shot thru the house drop that sucked in moisture to corrode the rg6 connector. The tech didn't want to rehang it. Weather was always a good one too so long as it wasn't happening locally.

I'll test again in a couple of hours.

maratsade

"I don't know how much of Testmy results are available from the url. I've never posted the url before, it's always been screen prints. "

Whatever you did on Testmy under that account will show there, and I'm told it has lots of info the engineers can use to figure out what's going on.

*I am not a Hughesnet employee or representative. This is a customer-to-customer tech support community, and I am a customer.

@dfbeck wrote:

maratsade GabeU,

I don't know how much of Testmy results are available from the url. I've never posted the url before, it's always been screen prints. I started this post about 3:30 and got distracted by an email that said it was from Hughes. It explained that my email had been hijacked and it was necessary for me to reenter user name and password along with payment info, especially payment info. I figured who ever sent it was looking for something to read so I send them 90,000 copies of Death Traps from Kindle using an anonymous emailer. I hate scammers and it wasn't all that quick to send those books with uploads at .33Mbps or less but it's worth it.

https://testmy.net/quickstats/Hangfire

Lorrihager
Spectator

Hi. I have no idea about uploads and download speeds. I was reading your message and thought that you might be able to help me. I seem to have the worse time trying to watch Hulu. I’ve cslled HughesNet so many times. I’m a new customer, only been with them a month. I was told I’d be able to do anything with this internet. I don’t do much on my laptop or anything, I just watch TV with it and from about 3pm to 1am I cannot watch Hughesnet due to buffering and a playback message. I don’t know what to do to get this problem corrected. Do you have any suggestions?
GabeU

@Lorrihager

Are you sure you haven't run out of data?  If so, your speed will be throttled to "typically 1-3Mbps", though it can be lower than that, as well, especially during peak usage hours, which are primarily in the evening.  You can see if you are out of data by checking the System Control Center, checking your HughesNet Usage Meter, signing into the HughesNet MyAccount site and clicking on the Usage tab, and by checking with the HughesNet Mobile app.  

Streaming is a very data intensive activity and uses a lot of data, especially if the stream is in Hi Def.  Many things can affect streaming ability, such as being out of data and then subject to the Fair Access Policy, the speeds being lower because of a lot of people being online (peak usage period slowdown), a weak WiFi signal, and trying to stream in HD while the Video Data Saver is still on.  If you're trying to stream in HD, or the streaming source is automatically in HD, you should either lower the definition of the stream to standard or low def, or you'll need to turn off, or snooze, the Video Data Saver in order for the stream to not buffer if you're streaming in HD.  Again, though, the previously mentioned things can affect streaming, as well.

Again, please keep in mind that streaming is a very data intensive activity.  Going by Netflix's data requirements, streaming in HD uses around 3GB per hour, SD around 700MB per hour, and LD around 300MB per hour.  

If you need further help with your streaming issue, please start a new topic in Tech Support, which you can do here.  

GabeU,

I wish running out of data was the problem but that's not it. What a coincidence, Hughes called me as I was writing the first sentence. Cameran wanted to know if I was still experiencing issues. He said he would move this to the next level so we'll see what happens.

As far as data use, I'm not able to download at resolution greater than 360p if I don't want to watch the spinning arrow every couple of seconds for the first 10/15 minutes which starts looking like an issue with response time. Just now I pinged Dallas with the return rate of 2169 ms. Not good. The average  months ago was approximately 750 ms but lately it's been on the high side of 800 with 1000 not unusual. That shows up as long delays in openning a page sometimes to the point of timing out.

I've run out of data just once but I purchased 8 gigs of tokens and ended up using only  7 megs so I've had 7.3 gigs just sitting for a couple of years now.

I've been setting the data to be tested at 6 megs for upload but that's the only thing tested. Is there a way to set the max up and download test amounts together? I don't know if I'm not looking in the right place or testing both with max set is not permitted. One other thing I discovered is that if Testmy.net is open and I'm logged in it keeps testing even though a test is not called for. That ate up most of my data last month before I realized it. Anyway I was told that I'd get a call from Hughes in the next couple of days. It would be nice to get the service useable. I don't want to change services.

Thanks for your reply.

GabeU

@dfbeck

It may be hard to see if on your device, but my reply, including the question about being out of data, was directed at Lorrihager.  She's only posted once so far, so I reverted to the basic, starting questions for her.  

Regarding your question about the speed testing, the only way I know how to set up automatic testing for both upload and download is like the following, in which I've used the Gen4 test sizes, with the download being the 15MB size instead of 12MB due to the aforementioned resizing problem.  

For download and upload testing, it should be set up like this...

Capture.JPG

Note that "Combined" is selected, and that the download size is 15MB and upload size is 3MB, and that the "nfw" box is checked.  The "nfw" stands for "no forwarding", which means the test won't upsize to something larger if it doesn't last long enough.  Even with that checked I'd still use the 15MB size for the download, as that size doesn't upsize on its own, so it should be doubly sure not to do so.  And I chose every 5 minutes for 5 times due to that being the most commonly requested testing protocol, with this being run a few times a day, for a total of 15 test of each for the day.  To start the testsing, you would click "Start Automatic Test", then leave that browser page open.  You can continue to use the net on other open browser pages, but just make sure to not X out of, or close, the testing page.  You can minimize it, though, if you wish.  

For upload only testing, it should be set up like this...

Capture1.JPG

Note that only Upload is ticked (not Combined), and 3MB is chosen for the upload size, with nothing chosen for the download size.  Also note the "nfw" box is checked.  And, again, I chose every 5 minutes for 5 times, so that it only runs a total of five tests each time you have it set up like this and click on "Start Automatic Test".

Now, the browser page MUST remain open in order for the tests to run.  If the testmy.net browser page is closed, the tests won't run.  But, why it continued to run for you after it completed the set number of tests I don't know.  With it set to run five times it should ONLY run five times, then stop.  

I'm going to run a set of upload tests and see what happens.  I'll use what's set in the picture above for the upload only testing, though I'll use the 4MB size due to having Gen5.  I'll leave it open for more than an hour to see if the testing starts again in the next hour.  It shouldn't, as in after I click "Start Automatic Test" it should only run the five tests that it's set to run and no more, but nothing is infallible.  I'll post what happens.  

P.S.  Note that the "Extra Identifier" in the testing setup is something you would set if you run tests using multiple devices on the same account and you use a specific identifier for each device, so you know which is which when looking at the results.  If you click and look through the options you will see what I mean by Identifier.  So, if you do have Identifiers set up you should probably choose the one that you use for the device with which you are testing.  If you don't use identifiers, just leave the Extra Identifier thing alone.  It's not something that's required to use.  It can just make it easier for you if you use a lot of devices and you want to know which results belong to which device tested.  As an example, I use the "Laptop" identifier for my laptop.  This way, when I look through my results, I can see which test results belong to my laptop.  I use Location 5 for my desktop, just to signify Gen5, though I should use Home or Living Room or something.  There's no "Desktop" identifier available, which is kind of stupid if you ask me.  😛 

GabeU,

Ok, finally got Testmy.net figured out except for one issue, combined testing with max data set. testmynet.PNG

You see the tabs to the right of 'optional'? Both will set the 'minimum' data size but  won't affect the maximum so it still tests anything it wants and of course, if it tests something reasonable the first time and runs quickly it will rerun with more data the next time so it is very important that I remember to click nfw. I'm following your instructions but unless I test upload and download separately I have no control over the maximum data used.

Hughes Level 4 called today (1/11/19) and when she had me run the upload test it was 33Kbps up and 21.3 down. Unplug the modem, bypass the router, long periods of silence and 'still buffering' for 25 minutes until it finally steamed without buffering but I haven't a clue what she did and I got the idea that she had a quota on either words or characters used, kink of like Twitter. I appreciated what ever she did but as she trying to get off the phone I asked if 2215 ms ping rate wasn't a touch long. She said she didn't know, 'bye'. I've never asked any tech about that before so I don't know if only certain techs are familiar with ping rates. I let it go and won't complain unless it becomes a consistant issue. What  is your average ping rate? I don't know if testmy.net arbitrarily picks Dallas to ping but that's what this is testing. I understand that a high ping rate will affect the loading of a page which is what I'm running into. Slow to connect, handshake, etc. but once loaded it streams with litte buffering now. She must have done something, 1.5 Mbps up - 25Mbps down. Just so it stays. Thanks for the info.

Oh, you're right, I wasn't able to see that your note about being out of data was addressed to someone else. I've yet to figure out this board.

GabeU

@dfbeck

My average ping rate is usually somewhere in the 600s.  Yours example is definitely high.  Is it like that all the time?  

To be honest, I'm a little surprised that a Level 4 rep didn't know what the average ping rate is.  With regular Level 1 reps I'd be shocked if more than one or two knows what ping even means, but with Level 4 I would think they'd know not only what it is, but what HughesNet customers see in general.  

Regarding nfw, or "no forwarding", it's supposed to keep the size at what you set for the minimum, as in it shouldn't upsize to something larger, but I just tried it, setting it to a size lower than what I know I need, and sure enough, it upsized to something larger.  I don't understand why.  

If you aren't already, make sure to use the 15MB size for download and the 3MB size for upload.  The upload shouldn't be a problem with size forwarding.  The 15MB size for download is a size that doesn't forward, so it shouldn't do so, but still check the nfw box, just in case.  The reps and engineers will also be okay with you using the 15MB size instead of the normal 12MB size requested, as they know when you have good speed the 12MB test size will forward to something larger, which can waste data, especially when it forwards to some ridiculous size.  I always used 15MB for the download tests when I had Gen4, as my speeds approached 30Mbps.  Using the 12MB size with speeds like that would have been futile.   Still check that nfw box, though, when you use the 15MB size.  In reality, you shouldn't need to, but I would do it anyway. 

I just tried the combined test with 15MB for download, 3MB for upload, and the nfw box checked, and it worked perfectly, with no upsizing.  I only let it run for one test, though, then closed it, as I'm going to be shutting my computer down soon.  Hopefully it will work for you and stop forwarding to a larger size while using those same parameters.

My ping test to google.com....

Capture.JPG

Edit:  The rep may have reset a few things in your modem, helping your speeds to improve.  I hope it stays that way.  🙂