Bonus Zone/ Netflix Downloads

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Heather0323
New Poster

Bonus Zone/ Netflix Downloads

In an attachment to conserve data I'm downloading a season from Netflix to my phone during the bonus Zone time. (2a.m. to 8a.m.) I plan to disconnect my phone from the wifi and watch later. My concern is that it will burn up my data for my phone package. Anyone have any experience or tips?

Side question: From what I've read is it accurate to say that disconnecting phones from wifi while not in use, and shutting off devices like RoKu, will help conserve data?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

If you're downloading over wifi it will not use your phone's data package.  If you watch something that is already downloaded, it might use some of your data if, as you're watching, Netflix connects to the Web to download something (like a notice for a new show, for example). 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
maratsade

If you're downloading over wifi it will not use your phone's data package.  If you watch something that is already downloaded, it might use some of your data if, as you're watching, Netflix connects to the Web to download something (like a notice for a new show, for example). 

Will shutting off my Roku and disconnecting phones also help conserve data?
maratsade

If you cut power to things that use the net, then they won't be able to reach the net, so no data will be used. I would make sure they're completely off, even unplugged. 

*I am not a Hughesnet employee or representative. This is a customer-to-customer tech support community, and I am a customer.

Hi Heather,

Looks like maratsade gave you some great advice! Personally, if I have to do something data-intensive like downloading a movie, I will click the mobile data icon on my phone and turn it off. Since I'm on wi-fi I will still get text messages. The same can be done through airplane mode. I do this in the event my wi-fi signal drops out when I'm not looking ever since the time my better half fell asleep with a TV show on his phone and the wi-fi on his phone disconnected... overage charges on Verizon is not something I'd wish on anyone!

I can definitely offer tips for saving data if you have an Android phone, but Apple products might take a bit of research.

Thanks,

Amanda