Hughesnet Community

Can I set up pass through in my HT2000 and let only my EdgeRouter handle ports for forwarding?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
HouseFM
New Poster

Can I set up pass through in my HT2000 and let only my EdgeRouter handle ports for forwarding?

I have a Ubiquity Edgerouter that I would like to handle all of my firewall and port forwarding. Is there a way to allow that in my HT2000 HughesNet modem? I cannot find any such setting.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

The HT2000w doesn't have the ability to be put into Bridge mode, or act as strictly a modem.  On top of that, like Mark said, if you are a residential customer, you are behind a Double-NAT, port forwarding will serve absolutely no benefit.

The requirements to be able to do port forwarding on Hughesnet are as follows.

1: Have a Business Account
2: Request Static IP services during signup, if they are still available that is.
3: Recognize that the HT2000w is a combo unit without the option to bridge - you will be forwarding ports more than once, once at the HT2000w, and once again at your Edge Router.  You have to be aware, the HT2000w has limited options for port forwarding.

You can read more here, but it is a guide for if you do meet all the criteria.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
MarkJFine
Professor

As long as the port forwarding is within your local LAN you can back the router into one of the modem's 4 ethernet ports in the back. Port forwarding for things that need to communicate outside of your LAN won't work because your modem on the HughesNet network is behind a double-NAT. Incidentally, this also provides a natural firewall since no one can access your LAN from outside the HN network.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

The HT2000w doesn't have the ability to be put into Bridge mode, or act as strictly a modem.  On top of that, like Mark said, if you are a residential customer, you are behind a Double-NAT, port forwarding will serve absolutely no benefit.

The requirements to be able to do port forwarding on Hughesnet are as follows.

1: Have a Business Account
2: Request Static IP services during signup, if they are still available that is.
3: Recognize that the HT2000w is a combo unit without the option to bridge - you will be forwarding ports more than once, once at the HT2000w, and once again at your Edge Router.  You have to be aware, the HT2000w has limited options for port forwarding.

You can read more here, but it is a guide for if you do meet all the criteria.