Hughesnet Community

Can hughesnet extender be used as a wired extender ?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Funkymonkey
New Poster

Can hughesnet extender be used as a wired extender ?

I bought a hughesnet extender to use with gen5 and the hw2000 modem, for a hundred bucks, unfortunatley It is not enough.. I need coverage about 60 feet away for an rv in a hanger, I would like to use DB cat7 and use the extender as wired... if not it becomes a hundred dollar lawn ornament!

Is it possible to use this extender as wired, plugged into the cat7 running it into the rv and put the extender inside the rv?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Good morning,

Just jumping in here to confirm what Gabe said, our Wi-Fi booster is designed to work wirelessly to extend your network. The LAN port on the booster is only used for the initial setup. 

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@Funkymonkey

Though I'm not 100% positive, I'm 99.99% sure that the answer is, unfortunately, no.  AFAIK, the HughesNet WiFi Booster can only be used via WiFi, as it has to connect to the Booster's dedicated WiFi channel of the HughesNet HT2000W modem in order to operate.  There's no way to connected to that channel via LAN cable.  😞   

A rep should be able to verify this.  They're on M-F from approximately 8AM to 5PM EST.  They'll reply when they see this thread.  

Any suggestions as to getting wifi to the rv?

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@Funkymonkey

Well, I'm one of the regulars here who's probably the least qualified to answer this, as I don't know a whole lot about it, but I think you can use an access point in your RV, which would give you WiFi in the RV, but you'd have to connect the access point to the HughesNet modem with an ethernet cable.  Also, some routers can be used as an access point, so if you have an old one laying around you can check to see if it has that ability.  

You might also be able to use a different extender, but I'm not sure.  I'll tag a couple of people who know a lot more about networking, including WiFi, than I do.  

@MarkJFine

@C0RR0SIVE

No idea about using the extender for an RV.

Though I'm not real fond of the idea about using an extender or expanding one's wifi range at all out in the wilds from a security aspect.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

Good morning,

Just jumping in here to confirm what Gabe said, our Wi-Fi booster is designed to work wirelessly to extend your network. The LAN port on the booster is only used for the initial setup. 

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

The only wireless setup I can see working reliably would be a WiFi repeater with outdoor antennas. Especially if talking about a metal hangar and RV which are essentially giant Faraday cages.