Cannot Post to ‘Upgraded to Gen5 and speeds are still extremely slow at times’

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lakeland4
Junior

Cannot Post to ‘Upgraded to Gen5 and speeds are still extremely slow at times’

Referring to the Cannot connect to ‘Upgraded to Gen5 and speeds are still extremely slow at times’ topic, now that I am able to connect to the ‘Upgraded to Gen5 and speeds are still extremely slow at times’ topic, I am not able to post to it. 

To post my reply I selected ‘Reply’ at the bottom of the 06-01-2022 post from Liz and entered the text in the window under ‘Replying to Liz’ and then selected ‘Post’.  The screen then showed the post just like all the other ones I have done.  However, the next time I viewed this topic, whether it was reloading the page, logging out and back into the Community or rebooting the PC, my post did not exist.  I even tried posting using Chrome, Firefox and another PC with no difference. 

Any help would be extremely appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Good morning folks,

I got curious about the character max in here so I had to dig a little to check. For posts, the character limit is 50000. When you copy and paste from other places, like Word, emails, and other websites, the HTML formatting gets copied as well and counts against the character limit. That's why the character count is greater than what's visible in the post.

Also, your post might look wonky when you try to copy/paste in here. I've learned from experience to copy/paste from Notepad, which has no formatting.

-Liz

Edit: I just learned something else! CTRL-Shift-V in Windows pastes without formatting; no need for Notepad.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

View solution in original post

23 REPLIES 23
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

Just checked your username and you're right, the post never posted. I posted a test post and it went through.  Weird. Could it be a browser add-on that's blocking you? Does your post go through if you login using a browser's incognito mode, with all add-ons disabled?

I tried logging in using an incognito mode with all add-ons disabled on both Chrome and Firefox and the same thing happened.  When I selected ‘Post’ the screen looked like everything had correctly posted, but after reloading the page what I posted had disappeared.

Just now posted a very short message and it worked!  I guess there was something about my original post that was causing a problem.  When I figure out what I have to change to get it to work I will let you know.

maratsade

I just saw your post; glad it worked. And yes, please update us when/if you figure out what it was that was preventing you from posting. It could help others having the same problem. 

I finally got an edited version of my original message posted to ‘Upgraded to Gen5 and speeds are still extremely slow at times’! What looks to be the cause of the problem is a character with spaces count limit of around 3000 for a post.  I looked at my previous messages that posted fine and all were below 3000 characters with spaces. All the ones that did not post were over 3000. I edited my original message so it was under 3000 and it posted!  It looks like there is no actual error message, only the post not appearing.

You posting a test post got me thinking about giving that a try and it worked, which eventually led me to investigating if the size of the post could be an issue.

Thank you again for your help.

maratsade

You're welcome, @lakeland4 !

OK, so I just tried this. I copied text and posted it in this message -- it was 3006 characters total and posted just fine (I'm editing it now so the big block of text is gone).  I wonder why you're not able to go past that 3000 character limit. Curious.

Not sure if this is the reason for the small difference, but it might be possible: Macs treat hitting the return key as only a carriage return with no linefeed (1 total character: 0x0D) while Windows include the linefeed (2 total characters: 0x0D 0x0A). Really depends upon how those are counted and interpreted by the site's editor, even when typed vs. pasted in.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
maratsade

Cheers, Mark. Is there another way I could try to replicate the problem?

could try converting to CRLF (MSDOS) format to see if copying and pasting still works, or you could incrementally add text until it stops working.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
GabeU

@maratsade 

What are you using to calculate the number of characters in your post?  

maratsade

Using a character counter.

GabeU

@maratsade wrote:

Using a character counter.

I figured that.  I was just curious if you used a specific site or extension or something like that.

maratsade

It's something we use at work. EDIT: Are you wondering about the accuracy?

GabeU

Ah, okay.  No, nothing with accuracy.  I've just never used a character counter before and I was going to check it out.

Here is a bit more detail on how I came up with a possible character count limit of 3000.

I reviewed my previous messages that did post and the longest one had a character with spaces count of 2650.  I came up with this number by using the Word Count in Word, which is where I usually compose the message then post it by copying and pasting. 

The message that would not post had a character with spaces count of 3295. I figured the limit was a round number like 3000 and edited the message to lower the character with spaces count, which ended up being 2917. It posted.

I assumed someone from HughesNet would confirm the exact number and had not considered trying to find it myself.  My main goal was to finally get my message posted after all this time.

Hope this helps.

maratsade

"I assumed someone from HughesNet would confirm the exact number and had not considered trying to find it myself"

I was wondering about post size limits too, and wanted to see if I could replicate your test. I will probably try with a larger test post. 

maratsade

Edited to remove the long text.  7697 characters ( 1167 words;  67 lines). Posted just fine. 

Good morning folks,

I got curious about the character max in here so I had to dig a little to check. For posts, the character limit is 50000. When you copy and paste from other places, like Word, emails, and other websites, the HTML formatting gets copied as well and counts against the character limit. That's why the character count is greater than what's visible in the post.

Also, your post might look wonky when you try to copy/paste in here. I've learned from experience to copy/paste from Notepad, which has no formatting.

-Liz

Edit: I just learned something else! CTRL-Shift-V in Windows pastes without formatting; no need for Notepad.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

maratsade

Testing CTRL-Shift-V

All dogs descend from a species of wolf, but not the gray wolf (Canis lupus), like many people assume. In fact, DNA evidence suggests that the now-extinct wolf ancestor to modern dogs was Eurasian. However, scientists are still working to understand exactly what species gave rise to dogs.

EDIT: Cool!

Thanks to all of you for taking the time to look into the character limit.  This shows that the problem I am having with posting a message that has a character count of slightly above 3000 has nothing to do with reaching the actual limit.

I did some more investigating and noticed the HughesNet Community Mailer email for this topic contained the following post that is quite long:

maratsade (Distinguished Professor IV) posted a new reply in Tech Support on 07-26-2022 07:02 AM

However, it is not shown in this HughesNet Community topic.  Is it possible to set up a post to not be shown on-line and only in the email?

maratsade

"However, it is not shown in this HughesNet Community topic. Is it possible to set up a post to not be shown on-line and only in the email?"

It doesn't show because I edited out the long content after I verified the post had actually posted.