cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CloudFlare DNS

Junior

CloudFlare DNS

Would there be any issues with changing the modem's DNS server to CloudFlare's 1.1.1.1?

I just want to make sure that the communications with the satellite won't go crazy.

Thanks.
Ryzen 7 2700/16GB RAM/X470 Motherboard/250 GB m.2 SSD/2TB HDD/4GB RX560/Windows 10 Pro
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Distinguished Professor IV

Re: CloudFlare DNS

@infinitytec

The next most popular (after Google's) is probably OpenDNS.  A lot of people use it.  

I belive that OpenDNS also offers some customizable filtering options with "OpenDNS Home", though you don't have to do any of that and you can just use their DNS.  

AMD Ryzen 5 3400G | XPG SX8200 Pro 500GB M.2 NVMe SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB Corsair DDR4-3000 | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

@infinitytec

It won't affect communications with the satellite or anything like that.  Actually, quite a few people with HughesNet use an alternate DNS, with Google's being the most prominent.  It looks like Cloudflare's secondary/alternate DNS is 1.0.0.1, so you'd want to use 1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1 for the primary and secondary, respectively.  

Hope it works well.  Smiley Happy 

Edit:  I defer to Mark's reply below.  He knows better than I.  

AMD Ryzen 5 3400G | XPG SX8200 Pro 500GB M.2 NVMe SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB Corsair DDR4-3000 | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Assistant Professor

@infinitytec

Recommend you do not do that just yet, but not for what you might think.

I provide tech support to a web site that uses CloudFlare as a content distribution network (CDN). Periodically we get complaints from site users (mostly on weekends) of getting redirected to real sketchy sites (claiming to be Amazon -related, "you've won a prize", etc.), even after we've disabled all of the on-site ads and refreshed the DNS caches. The only conclusion, although impossible to prove, is that it may be coming from CloudFlare's DNS itself - possibly something residual from when they were hacked a while back.

Use at your own risk.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
Junior

Thanks for the replies!
Since CloudFlare's DNS is potentially dangerous, are there any other suggestions? (Other than Google's. They have enough of my data already)
Ryzen 7 2700/16GB RAM/X470 Motherboard/250 GB m.2 SSD/2TB HDD/4GB RX560/Windows 10 Pro

@infinitytec

The next most popular (after Google's) is probably OpenDNS.  A lot of people use it.  

I belive that OpenDNS also offers some customizable filtering options with "OpenDNS Home", though you don't have to do any of that and you can just use their DNS.  

View solution in original post

Junior

Thanks! I will try it out!

You're very welcome.  Smiley Happy  

Assistant Professor

@infinitytecwrote:
Since CloudFlare's DNS is potentially dangerous

That's just the thing, "potentially". Really don't know for sure. In theory, could also be a wayward WP plugin doing this (site owner sometimes just installs stuff to try out), but that's doubtful.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.