cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ErwinPR
New Poster

Configuring Hughes modem into an Office network

Hi!

I just got my service installed at my office. But, I need an special configuration to allow using the modem as my primary gateway in my LAN and also to allow Remote Access Connections to a particular server.

1. I need to turn off DHCP
  2. I need to assign an specific IP address from my network to the modem.
  3. I need to configure a DynDNS.org service account.
  4. I need to configure a "Virtual Server" so when the Remote Connection make the request, it is forwarded to the corresponding server with a given IP address in my network.

I can't do any of these on the Hughes modem because they're not available as part of its configuration screens.

I decided to connect a wired Router between my network and Hughes' modem. That's made the magic... but... the Internet is recognizing Hughes' modem IP address (192.168.42.1) as my public IP instead of the Hughes real gateway IP. This made my DynDNS alias unusable.

The possible solutions are:

1. A plain modem without any router or WiFi feature or...
  2. A modem with all the features mentioned before. This one would be great and the best solution!

Any idea or comments?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

@ErwinPR

You should contact Business Support at 800-347-3272 for assistance...  Hughesnet doesn't offer anything but the HT2000w, you can configure some features, however, those features are useless as you are behind CGN.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

A Business Class subscriber.

Is there any other Hughes modem that may be totally unconfigurable like the one provided by the Cable TV services?

I have a cable modem at Home it does not provide any configuration. It needs to be connected to a separated router and it does the job perfectly.

The other solution would be to have a modem with all capabilities so I can disable and enable services and functions as needed.

Any idea?

Thanks!

pswired
Junior

Bad news: this is impossible on Gen5 even if you're a business subscriber. IPv4 is delivered via carrier-grade NAT, so there is no way to set up inbound port forwards on your HT2000W. IPv6 public addresses are available, but they change very frequently so are equally useless. Please see:

https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/Tech-Support/HT2000W-IPv6-inbound-services/m-p/83342#M58814

https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/Tech-Support/Remote-access-of-security-cameras-REVISITED/m-p/8468...

then my only solution would be:

1. A full "flat" modem that requires a separate router to provide Internet service. Then, I can configure everything in the router.
  2. A fully configurable modem with all the capabilities and features.

Any idea?

Thanks!

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

@ErwinPR

You should contact Business Support at 800-347-3272 for assistance...  Hughesnet doesn't offer anything but the HT2000w, you can configure some features, however, those features are useless as you are behind CGN.

Well... Ok. Thanks anyway!

I will give it a try.

Regards,

Erwin