Ensuring a quality Gen 5 installation

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
motobojo
Junior

Ensuring a quality Gen 5 installation

I'll be getting my Gen 5 upgrade soon. I want to ensure that the installation is done correctly and provides me with solid service. What sort of things should I look for in a quality installation? My current installation is "legacy" to the max: HN7000S.  The pole, dish & coax were most likely circa 2003 when I first became a customer of HughesNet (then DirecWay). I think the initial modem & radio were HN5000.  Of course, the modem, radio & likely the dish will be replaced, but I'd bet a quality installation would mean everything completely new -- as if it were a fresh installation.  I have a vague recollection of one on-site service visit resulted in a recommendation to have a new pole set, since mine was susceptible to wind (inadequate anchoring?).  So please, what things should I look for (and insist upon) in my Gen 5 (upgrade) installation?  While some may be blessed with exceptional installers, please help those of us who may not be so blessed to look out for ourselves as best we can.  Thanks.

edit (add):

The HughesNet Installation Guidelines distingquish between an upgrade and a new installation.  What criteria are used to determine when a new installation is required and what degree of re-use is appropriate / acceptable?  For example, in the featured post "My Gen5/JupiterII Install Experience" it would seem that a complete new installation was done on a situation that possessed existing older HughesNet infrastructure.  How was it decided that this complete new installation would be performed rather than re-using existing components? 

Additionally the installation guidelines identify any work done on the router and internal networking configuration as "additional" (non-standard) services and hence subject to addtional charges.  How can that reasonably be the case with the HT2000W which has the router built in and hence proper operation of the installation can't really be verfied by the customer unless the router is factored into the intergrity of the installation?  The Early Termination Fees and Other Important Terms also includes a similar sort of exclusion:

Home Networking

Home networking equipment is not included with your HughesNet system. For network setup, support, and 
configuration, contact your network hardware manufacturer and/or operating system software developer.
(Hughes is not responsible for home network configuration or management).

The HT2000W includes a router and wi-fi which I believe most would consider to be "home networking equipment".  As such, this exclusion seems inappropriate, or at least poorly worded / considered for the Gen5 situation.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
gokartergo24
Tutor

I'm a Installer. I can help out a little. First off on the Networking hookup. We connect two devices. Usually computer and a phone. We show you how to to do it. Anything farther is subject to charges.  On the poll.. I check to make sure it was concreted in.. And that it is not rusted out and that it can not spin. For the cabling.. I make sure it is copper coax. Not copper clad. If it is.. Then I replace it. And make sure the system is properly grounded.  Coax doesn't really go bad.. 

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
gokartergo24
Tutor

I'm a Installer. I can help out a little. First off on the Networking hookup. We connect two devices. Usually computer and a phone. We show you how to to do it. Anything farther is subject to charges.  On the poll.. I check to make sure it was concreted in.. And that it is not rusted out and that it can not spin. For the cabling.. I make sure it is copper coax. Not copper clad. If it is.. Then I replace it. And make sure the system is properly grounded.  Coax doesn't really go bad..