Gen 5 Problems!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MichaelButler
Freshman

Gen 5 Problems!

We just received our our Gen 5 service yesterday (50GB plan) which is supposed to give us better speeds compared to our congested Exede service. Unfortunately, we were only getting speeds of 0.28 Mbps download and 1.0 Mbps upload. I called tech support twice yesterday. The first call they told me that 5 Mbps download was about the best I could hope for. The second call (with 0.28 Mbps download) they PROMISED me that my speeds would increase to 25 Mbps within 24 hour. Well, it's 24 hours later and my speeds are hovering around 3 Mbps download.

I've very disappointed in the new service and am ready to cancel and go back to Exede.  Is there a better way to get tech support than calling in?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi Michael,

Thank you for sharing that speed test, I will include this in my report to management about your situation. I've also replied to your latest PM; I hope we've sufficiently addressed your concerns. Do come back if you have additional questions, we're happy to help.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

View solution in original post

24 REPLIES 24

I hope to god there is some way to file a @#$%! against this kind of false promotion of a system that is not working even close to the level that it was advertised as! The tech support has been sub par at best and I don't know if the problem will ever be resolved. Working from home is now virtually impossible unless I do it fro 3 am to 10 am the rest of the day my Download speeds are between 125 'Kbps" to 1.6 Mbps. I have few options living in the country and only 1 mile from fiber optic is like a spike in my eye! Shame on Hughes but kudos for the best screwing I have ever had in my life from a company! 

maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

"I hope to god there is some way to file a C-L LS against this kind of criminal promotion of a system that is not working even close to the level that it was advertaised as! "

What level was it advertised as?

The type of action you suggest is not allowed under the contract (forbidding this type of action is a common practice by other ISPs and other companies such as credit card providers -- HN is neither the first nor the only company to ban it):  you have the option of binding arbitration, which is described in the Hughesnet Subsriber Agreement found on this page

I guess I am just screwed until the God of gen 5 decides to fix the problem. Thanks for the contract point that I did not receive at time of my instillation. I am chained to the oar so I will row well and live until I can break the chains of my bondage. Seriously these days are are sad example of how monopolies have ruined the country and the world. I don't doubt the company wants the system to not work "out of the box"  but it doesn't always work out these days. What my compliant is. They keep advertising the product even if it is currently defective and does not  meet minimum standards for many unknowing customer victims. Aside from fixing this I think it would show some class and courage for Hughes to suspend advertising for this product until "ALL" the 'Bugs" are fixed! I know that CEO's of this day and age are just not the caliber of integrity from the past. That said I am back to my oar until I get another lash from our masters. 

After a couple years of poor Gen4, they assured us that Gen5 would fix it, with a 2 year contract requirement, of course!!

It's worse now than it's ever been, and I've spent literally days on the phone and in chats with engineers. Techs have been out here many times, and have even flatly refused to show up, stating emphatically that the issue is with the service, not the hardware.  So we call for support, and after hours on a call, the promise to 'call you back'. Of course, the call comes when you're at work, and can't run additional tests for them. 

And so the issue quietly goes away and is never resolved. Until you get so frustrated with poor performance that you contact them again and it's the same old song and dance all over again.

These guys have quite a racket going on. If they can get you into signing a contract, rest assured that cashing your check is their primary concern. Usable internet isn't even on the radar.