Generator Internet Connection Issue

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MuttCat
Freshman

Generator Internet Connection Issue

We've just installed a backup generator that offers remote access to the manufacturer and vendor, and us as well.  But it can't make an internet connection.  I was told to use specific IP addresses and ports, but I can't figure out the settings for the modem.  I called HughesNet, but no help there.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I agree with Gabe, looking at the internet connection related parts of the generator's manual, it doesn't specify that the generator itself is wifi enabled, but that it has an ethernet port. Hopefully there's another contact option for the manufacturer that could confirm whether this is an actual feature.

What I can do is confirm that the internet we provide is working and that your wifi is also operational, as I can see multiple devices connected to both your 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz wifi networks.

-Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Liz

Good morning MuttCat,

I see it's your first post here, so welcome to the community! As indicated by one of the previous reps that assisted you, we don't block ports so you have many to try. The only exception is port 25, which was formerly used for e-mail, but we (and pretty much all ISPs) block it to combat spam.

If you could provide more info about this generator you're trying to connect to, that could be more helpful. Maybe someone here in the community who has the same one will have more insight. Otherwise, the generator's manufacturer may have their own support resources that can assist you getting connected.

-Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

It is a **bleep**ins standby home generator.  **bleep**ins does not offer any internet support.  All the installation instructions indicate a hardwire ethernet connection to the router, but the installer says wireless is OK...I have not been able to verify this.  **bleep**ins does suggest disabling the router firewall..I did...no sucess, still not connecting.

Oh dear, do you have the manufacturer's website or a link to the generator manual?

Edit: perhaps it's this? https://www.norwall.com/product_pdfs/2141_rs20a_om_2_2017.pdf

-Liz

maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

Now I see why the system bleeps this. 🤣

Liz, the link you posted is indeed the installation manual.  No mention of a wireless option.  I fail to understand how the generator is supposed to connect through my router without my password.

I agree with Gabe, looking at the internet connection related parts of the generator's manual, it doesn't specify that the generator itself is wifi enabled, but that it has an ethernet port. Hopefully there's another contact option for the manufacturer that could confirm whether this is an actual feature.

What I can do is confirm that the internet we provide is working and that your wifi is also operational, as I can see multiple devices connected to both your 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz wifi networks.

-Liz

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

I wonder if the installer was mistakenly thinking of another model regarding a WiFi connection. Or, perhaps, he or she was referring to accessing it through your network, like from a tablet or phone connected to the network via WiFi.

These are just guesses.

Judging by the manual, Ethernet is the only connection available. It mentions an Ethernet connection many times throughout, but the only mention of WiFi is concerning the device being used for remote access.

I agree that an ethernet hardwire connection is the only way this is going to work.  The installer should have run a wire for such through the conduit and allowed for a connection at my router.

I don't know what the dealer/installer was thinking, and I had the impression that he had done plenty of wireless installations.

There are solutions using wireless to ethernet conversion gadgets...if there was a 110v outlet in the generator cabinet...

Anyway, the reviews on the RMS are not great...I'm done, and thanks all for the input.

Joe

As there was no additional charge for the RMS, nothing lost...but it should have been done the right way right from the start.