cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mindiefish
Freshman

HT2000W Red Power Light, White System and White Receive lights

Hello,
Yesterday I lost WiFi (both 2Ghz & 5Ghz) signals. I went downstairs and found the HT2000W had the power light as solid red, the system light as solid white, and the receive light as solid white. The transmit and WiFi lights were both off.
I disconnected it from the wall outlet for a couple of minutes and the same lights were present after plugging it back in. I then found the reset button on the back of it and pressed it, but the lights stayed exactly the same and did not shut off or blink at all, so I tried holding it for about 10 seconds, but the results were exactly the same.
I then started searching the Internet from my phone and found this forum and tried to find some post with the same symptoms, but nothing was exactly the same. I tried a couple of the other reset processes with holding the reset button and wps button for 30 seconds but the lights didn’t even flicker.
I eventually left it unplugged for about 30 minutes and came back to it. After plugging it back in things seemed normal, all of the lights on the front were eventually white and blinking in some manner. By the time I got upstairs to check the computer, the WiFi signal was gone again. I went back down to find the red power light and two white lights had returned. So I unplugged it for another half hour and returned with an Ethernet cable and laptop. I tried reaching the system menus from 192.168.0.1, but never got any response (there was a “took too long to respond” or “could not be reached” type of warning message on my browser window.
I managed to eventually connect after several reboots of the modem and using the “ipconfig” through a windows command line window to identify the default gateway with the laptop plugged into the router. It was something strange that started with “100.xx.xx.1”, but it worked (very briefly). I did this a couple of times until I was able to snag a picture of a diagnostic code of 0000-0000-0000-5121.
I left the HT2000W unplugged over night. When I plugged it in today, it immediately turned on with the red power light and two wight lights and I could not connect to it or identify any IP address (“ipconfig” always displayed a “not connected message” anytime the red and white lights were present. It only worked if the red light was white and the other lights were normal (of course this was only for a couple minutes at a time at the most)). I left the house with it plugged in all day hoping that it would magically fix itself while I was gone, but it did not. And even after leaving it disconnected for another half hour the red light and two white lights returned as soon as I plugged it in.
Please help
Thanks!
(Sorry if this is duplicated, my phone acted goofy after I hit “Post” the first time and I could not find the original post. Feel free to delete one if there are actually two identical posts)
@Liz
@Amanda
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Okay, sounds like the modem might think its overheating and putting itself in this state, so we will need to replace it after all. I will be shipping you a new modem at no cost. The box it arrives in will have a pouch with a pre-paid shipping label that you can use to send back the old one to us. Because of the holidays and upcoming weather, it may take a few days to receive the modem. Though it might not be overheating, leaving the modem plugged in to power isn't recommended just as a precaution. I am also going to be sure to credit you for your time without service. Let me know if you have any other questions or concerns.

Have a safe and happy New Years!

Amanda

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@Mindiefish

Though your HT2000W may be having a severe issue and it may not matter, you should never press the reset button without being instructed to do so by a representative.  Doing so can cause more harm than good, especially when you hold it in for any length of time.  It can create a situation where something that may have been a simple fix would subsequently require a tech visit, and depending on the situation, the customer may be responsible for the cost of that visit due to creating the situation that necessitated it by pressing that reset button.  I don't necessarily think that's the case here, but just in general.  This is the main reason the reset button is fairly inconspicuous.    

Though you already did so, I will tag the reps, as well.  

@Liz  @Amanda

Amanda

Good morning Mindiefish,

Welcome to our community! I appreciate you providing great detail in your post as this helps us diagnose much faster. A red power light means that the modem is overheating and should be moved to a well ventilated area. In the process of resetting, did you notice if the modem felt hot?  If the modem does not actually get hot but the power light still turns red, we may need to replace the modem.

Thank you,

Amanda

Hey Amanda
Thanks for the quick response. I didn’t notice it to be any warmer than normai when I first lost WiFi and checked it. I’m guessing that’s the reason it may have been willing to work after being unplugged for half an hour or so?
It always seemed to be rather warm since day one. It is in the basement which stays around 66-67 degrees year round, so I wasn’t too concerned about it.

I suppose as long as it isn't smoking, that is a good sign 🙂 Does the modem have any obstructions around it, maybe inside of a shelf or cubby? We also want to ensure proper airflow. 

~Amanda

Nope, it’s setting on the top shelf of a bookcase with about 8 inches of space on the left and right of it, 6 inches of space behind it, and nothing in front or below it. And the sides and back of the book case have slots/openings in them. So plenty of airflow around it.

Okay, sounds like the modem might think its overheating and putting itself in this state, so we will need to replace it after all. I will be shipping you a new modem at no cost. The box it arrives in will have a pouch with a pre-paid shipping label that you can use to send back the old one to us. Because of the holidays and upcoming weather, it may take a few days to receive the modem. Though it might not be overheating, leaving the modem plugged in to power isn't recommended just as a precaution. I am also going to be sure to credit you for your time without service. Let me know if you have any other questions or concerns.

Have a safe and happy New Years!

Amanda

Ok. Thank you for your help. I appreciate your quick response and great service. Will you be sending tracking numbers? Also is there any other setup requirements once the new modem is received or is it just “plug ‘n play”?
Thanks again!!

I can get you a tracking number once it is loaded into our system (after UPS sends that info to us). The modem is plug 'n play - just move the coaxial cable from the old modem to the new. The replacement should come with its own power cord too. Allow the unit to sit for at least 20-30 minutes to register. We have not yet uploaded the HT2000W replacement guide, but the guide for our HT1100 is essentially the same: http://support.hughesnet.com/sites/support.hughesnet.com/files/inline-files/1039585-0001_g.pdf

In case you want this too, here is our HT2000W user manual: http://support.hughesnet.com/sites/support.hughesnet.com/files/inline-files/1041318-0001_c.pdf

~Amanda

Great! Thanks again for all your help!!
Happy New Year!